Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps running at 100% CPU

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 the_huntress

the_huntress

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop that is running on Windows 7 and is a little over 2 years old. Often it, for no good reason, starts to run at 100% CPU and makes doing anything impossible. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why it was doing this or what I could do to fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

. Often it, for no good reason, starts to run at 100% CPU and makes doing anything impossible.

Do you mean once Windows desktop is loaded? Any start-up programs automatically opens and have you checked what process runs high on task manager?

Tekken

#3 the_huntress

the_huntress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

It only happens once I've been on my computer for a while. When it happens I open up the task manager to see what is taking up all the CPU and when I go to processes the thing at the top using the most CPU is the task manager.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Well I wouldn't worry about that anyway. If its for once or task manager is the culprit. Do you notice any performance lags or slowness?

Tekken

#5 the_huntress

the_huntress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

No lags or slowness. As far as I can tell it runs fine until this happens. I could be just surfing the net and then it will start to lag heaps and I look at my CPU meter and it's at 100.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

Multi-tasking is bound by what hardware specs you have. So, if there are multiple programs, browser/windows are running, the CPU will jump to high usually as the software requires to run. Another cause would be infections or cache files stored. Have you tried clearing junk files and scanning your laptop with free Superantispyware and Malwarebytes together with your antivirus? What protection softwares are installed for your pc? Sometimes thermal events could be a big factor.

Tekken

#7 the_huntress

the_huntress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:45 AM

I haven't tried to use Superantispyware and Malwarebytes yet but I shall try that now. I use AGV antivirus.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

I also use Ccleaner to clear system of any junk files http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Tekken

#9 the_huntress

the_huntress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

I used Superantispyware and Malwarebytes yesterday and the problem is still there. I have already used Ccleaner as someone else suggested to me to try it.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

Do you experience slow or lagging on what part?

Tekken

#11 the_huntress

the_huntress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

My computer is never slow or lags until the CPU goes crazy. When that happens though, it just lags really badly making doing anything basically impossible. I hope this answers your question properly.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

My computer is never slow or lags until the CPU goes crazy

What programs are running usually? Both offline and online activities? Have you considered checking on hardware temps. since this is a laptop?

Tekken

#13 the_huntress

the_huntress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

Usually Chrome, VLC, uTorrent, Flux and Rainmeter are the things that are running when the problem occurs. How do I check the hardware temps? When I have run Defraggler it says that the temp is good. Is this the same thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users