Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help removing esnips search page

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 puttputt510

puttputt510

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

Hello,
I had recently downloaded the esnips downloader add-on to try to download a very small mp3 file. It had no problem installing properly onto my computer, but now it does not want to completely leave. I managed to get my homepage back to what I wanted it to be, but when I type in a search on my homepage, the next page should be google, but instead it goes to search.esnips.com, which is not what I want. I have done everything. I removed the add-on from my add-on list; I did the about:config thing with resetting; I removed all the esnip files and folders that I could find; and I went to regedit and removed any esnip files in there. I still comes up, like the parasite it is. I have looked all over google and everyone on the website results just say what I have already done. What is there that I have to do to send my search result page back to google and stop the esnip search page? I did a hijackthis scan and a popup came up saying that it was not being able to scan my hosts driver and that I need to go to my hosts file and delete any entries that do not belong. I looked in my hosts file and saw the following below the normal localhost:

# ::1 localhost

After removing it and tried to resave the file as "hosts", it would not let me save it.

Edited by Budapest, 13 November 2011 - 05:58 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 puttputt510

puttputt510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

How about some help, please, rather than just looking.

#3 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Have you tried building a new default profile?

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles

#4 puttputt510

puttputt510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

I have not tried to create a new profile yet on firefox. I would like to try to completely wipe all traces of the lil search.esnips.com bastard from my current firefox profile first and really only create a new profile if I can't stop it.

#5 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

Some users have found that was the only way to get rid of it.

#6 puttputt510

puttputt510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

If that is the case for me; esnips.com can stick it.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

Perhaps reset the HOSTS file to Default.
Please follow the instructions provided in How do I reset the hosts file back to the default?

To reset the hosts file automatically,go HERE click the Posted Image button. Then just follow the prompts in the Fix it wizard.

OR
Click Run in the File Download dialog box or save MicrosoftFixit50267.msi to your Desktop and double-click on it to run. Then just follow the promots in the Fix it wizard.

Also you might try Revo Uninstaller:

Please download the Revo Uninstaller to your desktop.

Note ---> Scroll down the page and be sure to download the "freeware" version not the "30d fully functional free trial, called Proffessional"

• Double click Revo.exe to install and run.
  • Highlight XXXX.
  • Choose Uninstall.
  • Are you sure - Yes
  • Mode - Advanced
  • Are you sure - Yes
  • Initial Uninstall - Next
  • Scanning for leftovers - Next
  • Check the bolded box only!!!! <--- Important!!
  • Delete
  • Yes
  • Finish

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 puttputt510

puttputt510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:02 AM

I bleep win. I just reinstalled firefox, esnips can blow me. Sorry for the curses, but I am tired of their bullbleep. I couldn't even send a message asking for help to their support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users