Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running slow IE9

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mike518

mike518

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

The last little while the laptop is running really slow and IE9 seems to using a lot of memory. Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

Define "running slow". EXACTLY what is running slow?

#3 mike518

mike518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

When I try and scroll down on a page it is unresponive for 20-30 seconds possibly longer. It will take 5-8 minutes to start up to the point you can do something.
When I have looked it somethings shows that IE is using up to 500K of memory and climbing.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

Have you run full system scans with BOTH your anti virus app and MalwareBytes? If not, please do so.

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

Hello and welcome to bleepingcomputer.com

Download CCLEANER the link below:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Just DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.Also hit start run then type msconfig then hit the services tab then put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Please ignore the above post and follow my suggestion to scan your system.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

You could also try running IE9 w/out add-ons in addition to what was already suggested. Type Internet explorer on Start - Search programs and files box and choose Internet explorer (no add-ons). What is the result?

Edited by jhayz, 13 November 2011 - 09:39 PM.

Tekken

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

The last little while the laptop is running really slow and IE9 seems to using a lot of memory. Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this
Thanks

Please try the following: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/tips-for-solving-problems-with-internet-explorer

Click on Disable All Ad-ons to understand how to start IE without any add-ons to verify that any toolbars that you have installed or plugins are disabled.

Also please perform the following:

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Hello and welcome to bleepingcomputer.com

Download CCLEANER the link below:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Just DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.Also hit start run then type msconfig then hit the services tab then put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?

Please ignore the above post and follow my suggestion to scan your system.

I completely agree with Allan, the post by InadequateInfirmity is completely wrong and very misguided advice. There is no troubleshooting or help related to his post.

#9 mike518

mike518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

I have run both the anti virus and malwarebytes and found nothing and further suggestions?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:36 AM

Let me see if I completely understand the issue. The system is slow to finish booting to Windows, but once it does the only problem is your browser seems slow. Is that correct? If not, please explain IN DETAIL what is going on.

Also, please try a different browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc) just as a test.

#11 mike518

mike518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

It takes a long time for it to boot up and once it does if IE is running the whole system slows down due to IE using so much memory. I haven't tried another browser but I can give that a try. I ran a Highjack log and it appears there are several entries where it shows "no file found" could that be hindering the boot up?
Thanks

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

Did you try my advice about enabling IE without any add-ons if there are any?

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

Both the advice above to try IE with no add-ons and my advice to try a different browser are your next steps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users