Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't set Priority Levels for Processes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HandicapSpot

HandicapSpot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

So I've learned that if you open up your task manager and right click on a process to adjust the priority level for that process, it would allow more less resources to be used on running that process to either increase or decrease it's efficiency.

Here's what I've done:

~I'm on an Admin account using Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit SP1.
~Gateway M-Series Laptop is the terminal I'm using.
~I've run the target application.
~Using Control+Alt+Delete I select the Task Manager and click on Processes tab.
~I find the target application listed, right-click and go to Set Priority.
~Currently, it's marked as normal by default. When I try to set it on High, I get an Access Denied error message.

I've resorted to Google to see if there is a solution and the only ones I've come by are:
1. While in Process Tab, click on "Show Processes from all users" then continue to change the priority.
2. Boot Task Manager by typing "Task Manager" in search under the Start menu, right-clicking it and selecting to run as an administrator.

1. When doing this method, I still get an error message.
2. Task Manager doesn't even appear in my search results.

Is there something that I'm missing, or is there another method to performing this action? Also, is there a way to configure a certain application to run at a set priority level each time it is launched without having to consult the task manager and changing it (a permanent setting)?

Thanks in advance.
If you need some more information, let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

Why do you want to set this and just let Windows manage programs accordingly?

Tekken

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

How about something like this: Prio - Process Priority Saver. (free for personal use)

I haven't used it; just saw it in passing.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users