Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 boot fail

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

I'll try to make sense of this to you. My computer has been working great until last night. Today, it bricked on me.
Last night and until a out noon today, I was seeing occasional corruption of the image on screen (strange blocking/pixellation like a bad hd tv picture). I started getting locking-up freezes, which I could sort of unfreeze with ctrl-alt-del. This happened frequently while browsing the net las night (oddly games worked fine).
Today at one point the whole image started flickering/fluctuating up and down and then the image scrambled totally and was locked-up, so I hard reset.
Upon restart, bootup fails. Chkdsk, memory scan (from startup repAir and the installation disk), image and system recovery fail. When I read the detailed results from start up recovery, it tells me that no drive is present.
So, did the drive fail, or maybe it came unplugged inside the tower (unlikely bc the tower hasnt moved). Or, did intel smart response technology screw up and the cache is screwed and it's messing up the primary drive it accelerates? Windows 7 64-bit OS on z68 mobo with 64gb SSd accelerating 500gb primary.
Any insight is VEry greatly appreciated, as I'm stuck working off my iPod touch for troubleshooting.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

Update: I just tried again to boot into safe mode.
After displaying the names of some files that loaded, the system rebooted itself.
The last file that says "loaded" is classpnp.sys (i think that's what it said). Once that sits idle for a few seconds, a blue screen pops up very briefly that I cannot read.

Edited by cbjfan2009, 13 November 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#3 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Update: opened up tower and all cables are attached properly.

#4 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

Any possible ideas? I found a 1tb drive in my closet (no clue when or where I got it), so I might try installing windows 7 again and try accessing the drive. Any suggestions?

#5 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

My boot screen (bios screen) still lists the hard drive serial and model number and size, but when I tell the machine to boot to windows I get the following BSOD more or less consistently:
0x00000050 (0xFFFFF88807927428, 0x000000000000000, 0xFFFFF880792480A, 0x0000000000005 the last number here might have more zeroes, but ended in 5)

Does this help?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=classpnp.sys+&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en

Lots of random guessing, no answers.

The prudent thing to do would be to start with the hard drive and run the appropriate diagnostic, IMO.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#7 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

Thank you, Louis. Can this be done while I'm incapable of booting into any form of windows (safe mode, command prompt, with networking)?
I get the BSOD when I attempt to start windows or safe mode everytime. That is my dilemma.
The initial DOS like screens that list gigabyte, how many drives and how much memory, before windows initiates, is actually the motherboards CMOS information, yes? Example: in those screens I have listed my primary c drive. However, windows doesn't locate it for any repair work, or installation.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

See this link also http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Tekken

#9 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:38 AM

See this link also http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Quote from the link:

Data AdvisorŪ is a simple, yet powerful computer diagnostic tool for assessing the condition of your computer system. Data Advisor quickly assesses the health of your hard disk drive, file structures, and computer memory by identifying problems that could cause data loss. Don't worry if you can't boot your system to Windows; DataAdvisor is self-booting, so it runs even when your system won't. This comprehensive computer diagnostic tool can be used to both diagnose current problems and/or as part of a regular maintenance program to identify potential problems that could lead to data loss.
If it's self-booting, how do I get it onto my computer? This is where I get foggy.
~Matt

#10 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

As I mentioned before, there is a screen at boot that lists the drives with sizes, and also shows that my ssd accelerates the primary drive. This screen listed my old prime drive, which is acting dead. Now, it shows my new disk, onto which I'm installing windows again; I'll let you know what happens

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

The system incapability to boot into Windows...has nothing to do with how most diagnostics operate...since they run from a CD.

The hard drive manufacturers (generally) provide their own diagnostics and instructions on how to use same...there's no need to look anyplace other than the website of the hard drive manufacturer. Windows is one thing...the hard drive is another. The diagnostic is for the hard drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#12 Miguel Leiva-Gomez

Miguel Leiva-Gomez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

This is insanity! It looks like you have a host of issues. It could be a failing motherboard. Remember, that the motherboard is the nerve center of your computer.

Look... This is how I came to the conclusion:

Your image issues often have a lot to do with a failing graphics card.
Your drive issues happen to be an issue with either the ATA/SATA controller or drive PCB on your hard disk.
Your other miscellaneous issues seem to be component communication-related.

All these components use the motherboard to communicate with each other. Maybe there's no problem with the buildings, but there's a problem with the streets adjacent to them, catch my drift?
Get on the grind with The Tech Guy!

Posted Image

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

There are many things capable of causing varied seeming errors...the PSU, the hard drive, the CMOS battery, the RAM...and the motherboard. I would not focus on one without doing what I could to eliminate the others from suspicion.

Louis

#14 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the input. All of the parts are less than 3 weeks old (except the potentially failed hard drive). Now that I've reinstalled windows and it works onto another disk, I'll try to connect and test the possibly-failed disk.

#15 Miguel Leiva-Gomez

Miguel Leiva-Gomez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:27 AM

A dead CMOS battery is hardly something that would do this. The CMOS battery only keeps the settings in BIOS, and you'll only usually notice a reset of the date on the computer.
Get on the grind with The Tech Guy!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users