Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FF displays gibberish b4 and after upgrade to 8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iceuser

iceuser

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

FF recently started to display jibberish characters on 3.6.17 and after upgrade to 8, it continued on. In both cases the end result was the same.

While IE does not show any problems with the results or repsonse of any site.

The scenarios were as follows: 1. When I type a site in the address bar it displays gibberish (some sites do display its content correctly like epsncricinfo.com, bing.com) but other sites like wordpress.com show jibberish text.
screenshot of result after entering google.co.uk in address bar

My link

screenshot of result after entering google.lk in address bar
My link1

2. When typing a keyword in the top right corner, in the browser search dropdown box, its results displays gibberish in google, bing, yahoo.
Screenshot of result displayed after typing keyword "cars" in Yahoo search box in top right

My link2

3.When Google button on the google toolbar is pressed, it displays the address [[https://www.google.com/webhp]] Is this NORMAL in FF 8.0 ????

screenshot after upgrade showing the addrs as google.com/webhp. this was the same b4 upgrade to 8.0
My link3

4. As result of scenario #3, the results are displayed in clear form of readable and understandable default English.

Screenshot after setting home page to restore to default in 8.0 was the same in 3.6.17
My link4

I tried changing character encodings through troubleshooting, but no effect on it.

Some sites do work in whole like espncricinfo.com all links also work normal.

bbc.co.uk home page itself is gibberish

cnn.com displays home page but some links show jibberish either trying to open in new window/tab/same window.

huffingtonpost.com, dailymail.co.uk displays home pg gibberish.

Most importanly is it SAFE to use https://www.google.com/webhp

Reply from Mozilla support forum

Edited by iceuser, 13 November 2011 - 11:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

Uninstall FF completely following this manual: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox
Install fresh copy.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 iceuser

iceuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Well it worked after a FULL uninstall of FF with the removal of personal data by having my bookmarks backed up too.

Deleted the folder in C:\ as instructed on the link that was given.

Cleaned the registry using the CCleaner 3.08 by removing all Firefox variables in the registry and all cookies that were stored.

Restarted the machine for good measure.

Installed FF 8.0 fresh.

Displays the text in its beautiful crisp way.

Previously, I did nt remove the personal data when upgrading the FF 8.0 from 3.6.17.
There were no malware threats ided by either Malwarebytes, Avira and SuperANTI Sypware Removal in all their scans.
Kaperskys TDDSKiller.exe detected 3 threats: sptd, NPPTNT2, and ASPI32;

Deleted the first 2 files but it had no effect later when checked again the same problem was displayed.

But happy now it that it is working normally again with google and other sites too.

Guess there was a problem with earlier version of google toolbar on FF 3.6.x or plugins. God knows.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

Well done :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 iceuser

iceuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Thank you and well done to u too for giving a simple outright answer.

Hope others will be able to get some help from this problem too.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users