Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switchable graphics driver issue on HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheMrKyle

TheMrKyle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

I've seen others online with this issue, posted on the HP site with high hopes in a response, and am hoping to get to the bottom of this issue.

Bought my Dv7-6195us around August (2011) and started having these exact same issues around the end of September.

My setup is included in the .txt file attached to this post.

I have done all of the tasks and suggestions that are given on the HP site, updated all of my drivers (that HP provides on there website, that Intel provides on their website, and that Windows Update detects), removed any possibly problematic new software (had my current setup all installed on a desktop machine before (custom built) with absolutely no problems whatsoever), ran the lastest anti-virus-malware-rootkit detection and found no errors or problems, did multiple Memory, HDD, and periphreal hardware tests all passing 100% successful with no errors reported everytime they are run, have ran SFC in command prompt and it comes up clean, no errors, and have tested both "Fixed" and "Dynamic" modes in the new BIOS update for the video setup, which doesn't seem to alleviate the problem.

Alright, that being said, here are the exact symptoms my comp. demonstrates when having this problem. Some sort of video processing is occurring at the time of the BSOD. It could be playing a video in either Media Player or VLC, Skype video-chatting, or the like. I haven't experienced the problem while watching in-browser videos, like on YouTube (which leads me to believe somehow Flash is exempt, but whatever). The BSOD errors are different, but the most reoccurring ones are "System Service Exception", the ol' "Driver_IRQ_Not_Less_Than_Unequal" (or whatever that exact wording is), and no message at all, just a notification that a possible video driver is awry.

What happens then: I turn off the computer to reboot, turn it back on, I get the boot-up options screen offering safe mode and whatnot, try to boot in regular or safe mode (makes no difference), get another BSOD lock-up during boot, the comp automatically restarts, I'm asked to run Startup Repair, which I do (cause if I don't it rarely boots up correctly). I don't choose a System Restore (that has not helped when I tried it many times before). The process runs (takes about 15 mins) and then tells me it can't repair the issue automatically and wants to send the information online, which I choose. Then I look at the detailed error report and it always, ALWAYS shows the same results:

All tests finish quickly (several milliseconds) and report no errors, EXCEPT the last test checking System file information, which takes the vast majority of that 15 mins, and returns the error "0x490".

This has been like clockwork. I found that if I uninstall video drivers and reinstall them, then I get some reprieve for some time (maybe a couple of days) until the original BSOD happens again and then the cycle restarts.

I wonder is the fact that there are dual video options that switch (even though, as I stated above, it doesn't matter if I turn this feature on or off in BIOS, as well as on the desktop with the CCC)? Also, the dedicated ATi drivers are based on AMD chipsets, while the built-in drivers are Intel (as is the processor)...does that seem like a conflict of interest?

In any case, I'm focused on figuring out this problem, so I'm spreading the word to the pros so we can get this figured out!

Cheers,

Mr. Kyle

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

Hi and Welcome -
I searched the Microsoft Windows 7 forums and found this answer that fixed one "Error 0x490" problem. - - -
Your boot information is bad. afaik, you will have to do a startup repair to fix it.
I could not find a MS link for this but I found this >> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html to boot into the recovey options >> (USE METHOD 2 !!!)
and this >> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html to do the startup repair which actually looks at things like MBR and the BOOT folder.
As with anything of this type, I strongly recommend backing up anything and everything - create an image of each and every partition.
Hope that helps.
How did this happen? I rather suspect that something happened, the system rebooted, and stopped at a screen which had something like system repair as a default, the timer went out, it did its thing, and unfortunately incorrectly. i have lost opsyses that way.

I strongly recommend always setting:
Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / (System Properties) Advanced tab /
look at "Startup and Recovery" , click settings button - in system failure: uncheck "automatically restart"
This will enable you to see any errors that are causing a reboot.
See if the information is any help to you -

Regards -

#3 TheMrKyle

TheMrKyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

This is a great fix for the boot issue that is created from the original crash. I went through, fixed the MBR and boot recorder with bootrec /fixboot & /fixmbr.

Rebooted 4-5 times, made a system restore point and sitting fine right now.

But the main problem is the initial BSOD that starts this whole train a rollin'. If the 0x490 code is related to the boot issue after the fact, that is good to know, so I can rule that out as the main culprit. But something else is going on with what I imagine or think to be the video drivers.

See, once the initial BSOD occurs (which remember, takes different names and error codes, even had one this morning that was tcpip.sys) then if I don't get through a clean Startup repair, everything goes whacky and the BSODs keep coming. If I do, then they are allayed for some time but are eventually resurfacing. I'm trying to get the issue as why they are occurring in the first place.

Another helpful note may even be that, let's say I disable and uninstall my video drivers completely. Then do a fresh install of the latest ones, the problem tends to not occur for maybe a week or so. But eventually, it's back, and is usually brought on by some video related process/app/activity...which starts the problem all over again until I can get things clean and stable, as they are now.

This happens plugged-in or on battery power, that seems to make no difference. And like I said, all of my hardware checks are coming back 100% error-free.

Has switchable graphics systems ever been a big issue for others also? I noticed the latest driver update from HP for the video drivers are labelled AMD ATi but that both the "Intel HD Family" and the "AMD Radeon 6490" drivers are actually the same (8.830.6.3000)

Note: I'd like to add, that I've recently started to use the Hibernate/wake-up feature, and if I immediately start connecting to the internet by opening a browser window, use Skype, or stream a radio station, I almost inevitably will get a BSOD (sometimes stating tcpip.sys, sometimes not).

Edited by TheMrKyle, 15 November 2011 - 02:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users