Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Connection Issues With surfing & Chat.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

Hi there,

Recently, I have been traveling and I notice when I am connected to any other wireless connection, my surfing speed is slower than anybody else especially comparing with those with MacBook. I tried going to Facebook with a Mac it took me 2 secs, but with my XP it took me 2 minutes.

And now, I am having problem with my Gmail Chat, Skype where it take a very long time to load the page and sometimes without the chat function where it says "Unable to reach Gmail. Please check your internet connection or company's network settings.'".

I tried other people laptop it works but mine doesn't. I tried reset my tcp/ip winsock and it still does not work. But when I VPN back to the states, it starts working again. I have been reading forum and they said the timezone is wrong but I set it to Bangkok timezone which is where i am and it still does not work.

Anybody any ideas?

Hope to hear from someone.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iceuser

iceuser

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

May I suggest the following:

Defrag, Scandisk (whtever frequently used apps start quicker)
Clean all cookies and all other scrappy files and temps using CCleaner.
Scan using Malwarebytes, TDDSkiller and ure AntiVirus for any trojans, etc of that sort.

Check your security settings of ure WiFi, can anybody else access your network. Have u set a password? (U can read articles about it just google it)
Are bluetooth settings are on as well, switch them off.

Check Service Control Manager,see what are the frequent applications that auto startup (perhaps a zillion of them startup at the same time, u need a software expert/friend for this) and change them into manual startup. Use Startup Task Manager try to understand how much resources are used for per service/process that is running.

Use googlechat and skype when u want to use, nt to hv them on autostart.

Have all software updates set to monthly or never update if not important.

In short this means get the Lap finetuned by maintennance person to checkup on ure WiFi hardware configs.

BTW Bangkok is high intense WiFi activity at peak hours as well, maybe...

Good luck.

#3 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

Iceuser,thanks for the tips but I have done all the above you mentioned, and I also have limit what program are allowed to start during start-up. Anybody, anymore ideas?
How do i check if the port is blocked in my computer versus port been block by the provider ?

#4 AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

Looks like i found out something but not sure if this is normal.

The program for googletalkplugin.exe Inbound local IP Address is 127.0.0.1 at local port 1300 going to remote ip address 127.0.0.1

should it be a normal type of ip address?

Does this got to do with any lagging that I am facing and google talk not functioning properly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users