Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Let's see if you techies can solve this "simple" reformat problem...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blsrect

blsrect

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:32 AM

Hello! in dire need of some tech support. So here's the background... I was given a Toshiba Satellite A135 running on Windows 7. I got a virus and tried to DIY reformat. I DO NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL WINDOW 7 CD and was only given a "burnt copy of windows 7" by a friend.. So i searched online, especially utube, searching for how to reformat WITHOUT a cd and decided to follow what this guy said ()... The only FILES i backed up were my movies, music, word docs, and pdf's. So anything "driver" related i didn't back up.

i did the whole f8 thing WITH my friends burnt cd inserted (i dont know if that makes a difference). If you view the utube video, i got to around 2:10 and deleted EVERYTHING. First of all there were 3 disk partion options to select instead of just one like in the video. So i deleted all three because i assumed all 3 were infected. Either way it did not let me progress and i forgot what it said, but it gave me an error window stating something about a missing screen image.

So i restarted the whole thing and just like at 1:48 my laptop gave me the option to choose the OS i'd like to install. From a loooooooong list i just chose the first which is windows 7 Homebasic Activated. I click next, accept the license terms and just like in the utube video at 2:07 i choose custom (advanced). Now those 3 partitions have reappeared. So i chose "reformat" for all 3 (the last partition doesn't allow me to choose any option). So after clicking reformat for the top two, i highlight the partition that i think said "primary" and click next. At the installing screen copying files were completed, but the next step stops and said "windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installaion. Error code: 0x80070017".... Considering my situation and my lack of funds to replace the windows 7 cd, can anybody help me reformat my laptop? any help is greatly appreciated! Oh and sorry if this is in the wrong "topic" section... i jsut didn't know where specifically to post this...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

You need to purchase an original OS disc before we can offer help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users