Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 loneoakret

loneoakret

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

I keep getting a prompt in the lower right hand corner of my screen advising me that I have a corrupt file, and instructing me to run Chkdsk. How do I do this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

Boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

If you don't have an XP CD and if the recovery console isn't installed, do this: right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#3 loneoakret

loneoakret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

I am sorry that I am so computer illiterate, but what is a "command prompt icon"?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chdos.htm

#5 loneoakret

loneoakret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

Will do. Thanks so much.

#6 loneoakret

loneoakret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

Did it, but I still keep getting the message that I need to run Chkdsk. Also, I am not sure that it ran on reboot. How would I know?

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

If it ran, you'd know.

#8 loneoakret

loneoakret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

Dang. Then it is not running. Any suggestions? I might also add that my computer has started redirecting searches and opening random web pages on its own today. Just got the chkdsk alert while typing this.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

You should have mentioned that in your first post.

Post in the Am I Infected forum.

#10 loneoakret

loneoakret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

Will do. Thank you very much.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hello,

You already have a topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic427577.html so please do not create a new topic in the Am I Infected forum.

Please note that your topic in the log forum awaits your reply.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 loneoakret

loneoakret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Sorry. I thought that I had two differnet problems on two different computers. That is the reason for the different posts. Now it appears that I have the same problem on both conputers! I did not start a new post in the "Am I infected" forum, and I will let this thread die or you can remove it. Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,
LoneOakRet

#13 loneoakret

loneoakret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

I have replied to the other. Thanks for letting me know that it was awaiting my response. Will continue to work on the issue through that thread only.

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

Hello,

I thought that I had two differnet problems on two different computers. That is the reason for the different posts. Now it appears that I have the same problem on both conputers!

I saw the checkdisk error messages in the logs in your log topic and assumed that both topics discussed the same computer.

So, since you state you have 2 different computers with - apparently - the same problems, you need to create a second topic in the log forum for the second computer.

Please include [Computer 2] in the title so we know it's a different computer.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6 for the second computer. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a complete and concise description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 loneoakret

loneoakret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

The computer that had the Chkdsk problem initially was on XP Home, and all the pertinent info on it had been backed up. Rather than go through the hassle of trying to get it clean, I upgraded it to XP Professional, and I am in the process of uploading all the updates right now. What do you suggest I do once the proces is finished to make sure that it does not get infected again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users