Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shuts down at windows loading screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

So I've been messing around with my problematic comp for awhile. If it turns off, I need to remove the bios battery so I can restart it. Once it is started, it is normally okay.

But the other day I came home and it was off. When I went to restart it, it made it to the Windows loading screen and then shut-off. I can get it into safe mode, and mess around with it there, and after safe mode it went into normal mode, but only for a couple minutes before it blue screened and powered off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

CASE RAIDMAX|ATX-612WBP 500W BK RT

CPU AMD|A64 X2 4000+ 2.1G AM2 65N R
1 WL ADAPTER ENCORE|ENLWI-G(2) 54M R
DVD BURN PIONEER|DVR-112D %
MS WIN XP HOME w/SP2B SINGLE PACK %

VGA EVGA 512-P2-N747-LR 8500GT 512M
MEM 1Gx2|CORSAIR VS2GBKIT667D2 R
1 MB BIOSTAR NF4UAM2G nForce4 Ultra 1

HD 400G|SAMG 7K 16M SATA2 HD403LJ %

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

Well...I don't know if it will help...but if removing the CMOS battery allowed it to start, then said battery probably needs to be replaoced.

Once replaced, boot into BIOS, set clock and invoke the default settings.

Louis

#3 mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

replacing the battery didn't do much, i still have to pop it out everytime i reboot. i think my windows is corrupt, or its something to do with the motherboard, just a feeling.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

Well...I cannot logically think of any way that the CMOS battery should otherwise influence system functionality.

The CMOS battery is the key to proper recognition of system hardware by Windows...I would expect a system to be unable to boot without it (but I could be wrong).

http://www.helium.com/items/806743-tips-for-knowing-when-the-cmos-battery-is-getting-weak

My guess is that you have a hardware peoblem of some sort, you may want to explore that in the Internal Hardware forum here at BC.

Louis

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

So I've been messing around with my problematic comp for awhile

You mentioned it bluescreen in safemode too. Most likely a hardware problem as reported by hamluis. Have you tried re applying thermal paste for CPU, cleaning the dust or dirt internally?How about borrowing another PSU of same or great wattage and swapping out RAM module? It might also be that the computer is experiencing overheat.

Tekken

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

sounds to me like your hard drive is failing backup your data asap!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users