Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc won't start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thejudger

thejudger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

My defrag wouldn't open so I tried to do a disk check. It stated that a restart was required to perform the check. Now windows won't open, not even safe mode or last known good configuration, it just keeps recycling to startup Any suggestions, I'm on my laptop now, hoping to fix my HP desktop with XP. Should I do a hardware diagnostic from the recovery mode? Thanks Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 thejudger

thejudger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:53 AM

By system manufacturer do you mean make of the computer? It's a Hewlett-Packard Pavillion a1657c

Edited by thejudger, 12 November 2011 - 12:17 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

You might take a look at the HP support page, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3310300 .

You get no onscreen error messages?

Louis

#5 thejudger

thejudger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

No error messages. I get the windows logo as if it's opening but it then recycles back to start up and ask me to hit F1 for startup or f2 to continue. I was wondering about using the Microsoft windows recovery console? I'll check out the link you provided. Thanks

#6 thejudger

thejudger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

After going into recovery console following HP directions I received this error message and the console didn't open. A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software, Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: oxooooooED (ox89ABAE30, 0xc000014F, 0x00000000,0x00000000)

Any suggestions or directions?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

Unmountable boot volume errors fall into various categories.

The mild ones can be overcome by running the chkdsk / r command.

The more serious ones tend to indicate a hard drive/partition with problems.

I would run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic tool...on the hard drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

The diagnostic is not impacted by inability to boot into Windows.

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Louis

#8 thejudger

thejudger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

I managed to run PC doctor and found the following errors...HD521-2W and HD535-2W...could mean a new hard drive. I tried the link you sent but I would need the Windows XP discs but mine came installed in the computer and I can't access them. My Microsoft Recovery console won't even open so I think I'm screwed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users