Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt program file...unable to be fixed !

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ArchieBabe

ArchieBabe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

On Friday (the 11th of November) I was working away ....when I had a power outage !

The laptop (which was running) was OK (battery just kicked in, obviously). (Win 7 32bit)
But the PC (I was working on) wasn't !!! (Win 7 64 bit)

When the power came on five minutes later, I restarted the PC.
Everything appeared fine, however the program which was open and that I was working in, wouldn't "fire up".
...and "windows was trying to find a solution to the problem"....as it does, or rather doesn't.
FYI The program (.exe) is a data mining, bridge program (between a data feed to a financial platform.

(also "firefox", which also was open, couldn't open either).

First I looked at "System Restore" and noted that it said that "Rapport" had updated (at the date and time of the power outage), so I contacted Trusteer via their online chat facility. They said that they have indeed had put an update out recently but knew of no conflicts.

I therefore (with fingers crossed) thought it may just be a conflict with "Rapport", so from "programs" I removed "Rapport", then rebooted, then tried to "fire up" the program again....but it again failed to open or run.

Next, I did a "System Restore" that put me back a few days (from the 11th of Nov to the 3rd of Nov).
I then once again removed "Rapport" and rebooted.

Then (with fingers crossed again) I tried the program once more. Again it failed to open and run.
I also tried "firefox"...and this also failed to open and run.

Next I removed the program from the computer, rebooted it, then re installed the program...and rebooted.
...but still nothing.

I checked (just in the off chance)that the program had not changed since I last installed it (some 10 month previously) by installing it on the laptop....and it installed just fine, opened and ran as it should.

So then I looked looked to investigate futher and ran " sfc/scannow " (as administator), thinking that this would throw up some corrupt files in the system, which would give me a starting point from which to work from.....
...but nothing was found. Everything "appeared" to be clear. By that I mean it came up with no faults at all.

I rebooted the computer after this scan (just to add a belt, to the braces, so to speak)....and again, the program will not open or run.

So...to recap.

I have removed "Rapport", which was the only "update" that had happened.

I did a "System Restore" to a date where everything was clear....and everything was running. (and removed Rapport)

I removed and reinstalled the program which was (is) affected.

I have done a "sfc/scannow" (which is "clear").

So....my question is, can anyone help !!! This is driving me mental !

Archie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ArchieBabe

ArchieBabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

Just to add one more thing (another solution tried).

I have (just) tried to use run the program with the Win 7 "programme compatibility wizard".

Opening and running the programme from this wizard was possible.
The programme ran, but saving these changes to this program was (for some reason) not possible !

On the final screen in the wizard (when "saving" these program changes),it said that the progam (although running at the time) was infact "Incompatible".

Any help anyone ??

Archie

#3 ArchieBabe

ArchieBabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

Anyone ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic