Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lsass.exe crash on startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hexonloire

Hexonloire

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

I've spent two days trying to fix this computer. It was slowing down dramatically (its only one of those atom emachines with 1gb of ram, but still it should not be this slow). It had no real reason to be slow, so we removed norton and said that there's no point having virus protection if you cant use the computer. The computer sped up to a reasonable amount and I left.
My friend walks back upstairs, computer freezes, wont turn on anymore. It freezes at the windows logon screen, cant safe mode either. I assume the boot sector gets corrupted, so I put in the windows cd. The windows cd blue screens giving me the error message 0xc015000f - which is lsass.exe or one of the other critical services being corrupted ie the registry. Or the sasser worm, which I didnt think so. This error occasionally can be fixed by changing a drive from SATA mode to IDE mode, so I did that, which made the drive stop crashing before the windows screen, but now I can log onto windows. However, now it doesnt reach the authentication screen and lsass.exe comes up with a critical error and crashes, leaving nothing running on windows and the computer has to be hard reset.

I cant get into the drive to system restore it, so I run a prewin environment and replace the registry files manually, which led to nothing, lsass.exe still corrupted. If the registry isn't corrupted, bleep knows what's causing lsass to crash. I'm currently running a virus scan by reseating the drive in a separate computer, but I don't have much hope for that. Also, attempted a repair install which crashes in the middle of it every time.

Can anybody think of a next step? I feel like I've exhausted everything here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:52 AM

<<The windows cd blue screens giving me the error message 0xc015000f - which is lsass.exe or one of the other critical services being corrupted ie the registry.>>

That isn't what I see when I Google that particular error. Please post the exact error message that appears onscreen.

What model eMachines?

Louis

#3 Hexonloire

Hexonloire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The error message that comes up (I think it actually comes up with the same error message twice) is "lsass.exe - Application Error - The application failed to initialize properly (0xc015000f). Click on OK to terminate the application"

And its an eMachines 250-01G16I.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

I really don't see where anyone has defined what it is, although some posts speculate about what it might be.

IMO, the safe thing would be to assume it's Sasser and then move away from that based on results.

Louis

#5 Hexonloire

Hexonloire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

Sasser worm was not identified by the norton utility after I plugged the drive into a separate pc.

Hard drive also crashes (in the windows cd environment and loading) with an 0x7b error if I dont have it set to ATA mode also.

Could possibly be a corrupt hard drive controller? How do I change that? I only have access to a bartpe environment and installing the drive on a separate pc

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

The controller is part of the hard drive...if it's bad, the drive is useless and needs to be replaced.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000446.htm

Louis

#7 Hexonloire

Hexonloire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:04 AM

Its starting to look more and more like a hard drive error.

I managed to clean install a separate windows version but I it would not activate. I managed to install a network driver through running explorer.exe through safe mode command prompt, which allowed me to complete the activation process, which then gets caught in a activation loop. So even the clean install failed in the end. I'm not sure whether being on ide mode still would have anything to do with that, but its all that I can think of.

chkdsk is showing bad sectors that wont be repaired. The drive is only a year and a half old, so it seems a bit dumb for it to be gone already.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

Hard drives...arrive DOA every day. I've had one or two and I'm just another user who doesn't deal in bulk quantities.

Every computer component is subject to the same quality control issues...as any other piece of delicate instrumentation manufactured. That's why there are RMA and warranty provisions. I'm not surprised when something fails, I just try to have a replacement readily available :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users