Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultra Antivirus 2009???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EditorTB

EditorTB

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hi,

I'm new around here. Your site was highly recommended by a Google search so I thought I'd check it out.

Here's my problem; Halloween night, or rather the morning after, when I booted my computer, I noted that my network access had been shut down and there seemed to be an inordinate amount of hard drive activity. I suspected a virus so I ran all the scans I could (Avast!, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Super AntiSpyware & a few others) but none found anything. Not knowing what to do next, I did a System Restore to a week before the trouble started. This seemed to clear everything or at least buy me some time until the next deploy date (Oct. 31st 2012?). I have a 2nd and 3rd machine (video editing setup and a laptop) on a WiFi so I thought I'd better check them. Sure enough, the same symptoms appeared on the editing machine but not on the laptop. (did a System Restore on the edit machine)

Note: the 1st machine runs Vista Home premium, the edit machine & laptop run Windows 7, if that has any bearing.

Three days ago, this showed up on the 1st machine's desktop (the other machines are fine):

Posted Image

I can 'X' (close) the window or click 'OK' (it closes) and doesn't appear to be doing any harm except annoying me.

I Googled 'white X in red circle' and came up with a bunch of hits referring to the Ultra Antivirus 2009 but it has a different behaviour (shows up in Task Bar, reports infections & nags to buy their software, etc.)

Any ideas about what it is or what to do about it would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EditorTB

EditorTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

An update: Just noticed that my DVD player/burner has disappeared

#3 EditorTB

EditorTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

OK, my DVD player came back. Other than the annoying 'X' window at startup, there doesn't appear to be any unusual activity occurring.

#4 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Do you have a recurring error in your event viewer? If you right click on the error screen and properties is there any information?

#5 EditorTB

EditorTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

I'm not in front of the machine right now but I'll give that a look in an hour. Thanks for the reply. My next step tonight was going to be a format/reinstall OS-- rather not do that if I can avoid it.

#6 EditorTB

EditorTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

OK, I just took a look at the Event Viewer ... yes, lots of errors but I have no idea what they mean. Should I post the file here?

#7 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

It might be easier and perhaps provide more information if you download and run the MiniToolBox, since there might be some involvement with network access. I'm thinking that the system restore broke something.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe

Checkmark following boxes:
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click Go and post the result.

#8 EditorTB

EditorTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

Sorry, I didn't get your message until this morning. Last night I performed a Windows 7 upgrade (custom) to the machine. As I understand it, the 'custom' install formatted the system partition. No sign of trouble yet but I'll come back if something shows up. Anyway, thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users