Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7Update Configuation Issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rlochard

rlochard

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

Working on friends system. Dell Inspiron 530 with Windows 7 Home Premium. Working fine until 3 updates automatically installed. When the system boots up it eventually gets to a window screen that says: "Configuring stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete". Shows working icon for about 30 - 40 seconds then reboots. This goes on and on for hours. I can get to the system diagnostic screen to do a system restore, but it says that there are no restore points. I know that there are restore points. Start up repair also does no good.
As a side note, when given the option to "start with command prompt", it will not work either (this may not matter or mean anything)
Anyone out there had this issue? Know what I can do to fix it?

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

I had a somewhat analogous situation last week...so I booted into my XP dual-boot install just to see if it was a Win 7 problem or a system problem.

My CMOS battery needed changing, problem gone.

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, I would try disabling auto update and see if it boots properly.

Louis

There is known documentation concerning this particular error message, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358 . I find this interesting because I did not have to follow any of those actions in order to restore my system to good working order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users