Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen leads to account and file lockout

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickXP

PatrickXP

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hello all
I am running :
XP SP3 Home Version 2002
Dell Dimension 4300
Intel Pentium 4 1.60 GHz
1 GB RAM
I am encountering a BSOD after login , during the loading of desktop. It appears to happen just as the system tray loads. I can supply screen shots of the BSOD, info gleaned from BlueScreenViewer, and Event ID info, also a ComboFix log.
The unusual thing is, I can login using other accounts on the machine, and all the functionality remains. I can make most Administrative changes, and boot in safe made, but the files relating to the "bad" account remain locked. I have tried so many fixes, even going so far as to install another hard drive, and try to access the files from there, but no dice. Can you help?
Patrick

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:42 AM

Exactly...what happens when you try to access the hard drive when it is a secondary drive?

Please do not post any logs of any type...unless they are requested. Particularly, no malware logs, as malware is not the focus of this particular forum. If you suspect malware, you need to provided more details about why, circumstances that promote such, etc.

Please post the BlueScreen View log/data.

Louis

#3 PatrickXP

PatrickXP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Sorry to be abrupt-But my system has become more unstable since I posted this topic, with unexpected shutdowns. I have since posting been able to "take ownership" of the locked files, and apparently. whatever problem was affecting the bad account. I need to backtrack, and most probably, reinstall XP. Hopefully I can get back to you with good news, but I need to do some triage immediately. The good news is I have been able to burn some discs to backup the most important files, but I think my window is closing fast.Thanks for your time and I hope to be back soon!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

No problem, someone will be around if you have problems :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users