Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unkown Service

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PixelHo

PixelHo

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

Lately it's been taking my XP system a long time to get past the "Loading your personal settings" part of boot up, so I took a look at the event viewer log and came across this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7035
Date: 11/11/2011
Time: 5:05:16 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: PIXELDUCK0222
Description:
The MpKsl24e2c177 service was successfully sent a start control.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

My red flags go up whenever I see anything named with an apparently random sequence of characters. MS Info lists it as a Kernel Driver, and Process Monitor lists it as well so it may be all well and good -- but how do I know?

EDIT: FWIW, booting in verbose mode shows me the boot delay is occurring while wlnotify.dll loads...

Edited by PixelHo, 11 November 2011 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

It's a part of Microsoft Security Essentials if you have it installed.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 PixelHo

PixelHo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Yep, I do have MSE. Thanks.

Anyone have an idea on how to shorten the time it's taking wlnotify.dll to do its thing?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,722 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

What thing?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 PixelHo

PixelHo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:19 AM

The reason I started looking at the event log during boot is because it's taking longer than usual for "loading your personal settings" to complete, which turns out to be pretty much due to wlnotify.dll twiddling its thumbs the whole time. I was just wondering if I can speed it up.

This is no longer a security issue now that you've clarified the source of MpKsl24e2c177 service (thanks again), so if I need to ask this question elsewhere just let me know.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,722 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

wlnotify.dll twiddling its thumbs the whole time

I'm not sure what you're saying.
Normally startup time depends on number of startups, number of desktop icons and general specs of your computer (CPU speed, RAM amount, etc.).

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users