Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"cannot display this video mode" error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mike=)).

mike=)).

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Hi,

This problem concerns my main PC. I am writing this using a laptop as my main PC can not be started due to this failure.

Exact symptom: when booting the PC either the start-up Windows XP login screen does not display correctly (dots and subsequent wrong colours) or at startup the monitor has bands of colours. Either way, the PC is unusable.

History: This started with an occasional error message: "Cannot display this video mode" in white letters on a black screen. Re-booting helped. Occasionally this happened during a session, requiring a forced re-boot to continue, and losing anything running. The crashes have gradually become more frequent.

Additional information: I am currently unable to use the main PC to get exact specifications of the whole operating system. One of the previous system scans was mentioned in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic207516.html My operating system is XP Pro, SP 2. The system has almost no extra available memory.
Motherboard: ASUS P4PE ATX I845PE skt478DDR 1394audio.
Videocard: ASUS V9180 VS/2DV/64Mb GF4 MX440-BX TV-Out Vid-in.
Procesor: Intel PIV 2.4A GHz Skt 478 533MHz Retail Box+Cooler512Kb.

I'm guessing the only possibility is to try and fix things in safe mode?

Any help with this including how to enter safe mode would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 11 November 2011 - 05:26 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mike=)).

mike=)).
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Ok,

Found first temporary solution to get things running again.

Remove the monitor cable, then boot the PC without the monitor. After a few minutes add the monitor and logon. Things should run sweet as usual. Guessing something triggers the graphic card / monitor to go to hi-res, which it can't so it jams and subsequently the PC crashes.

Looking for a more permanent solution.

Lowering the res won't help because at the current res all works perfectly. Blocking triggers to go higher seems like the solution. I have noticed that using the scroll wheel to scroll from left to right in windows explorer seems to crash the system regularly.

EDIT:

The PC still crashes after an hours use. Lowering the resolution might help? I don't know how to do that or if it will help.

Edited by mike=))., 11 November 2011 - 06:25 PM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Have you tried:

1) A different display and

2) A different video card?

It sounds as though one or the other is causing the problem. And if not, at least you can rule them out as the cause.

#4 mike=)).

mike=)).
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

Yessir,

I have reduced the resolution to 800 x 600 and the PC crashes all the same.

I have not tried a different video card, as I was told that there was no replacement for the card as the motherboard was too old. Also I am not sure if I have enough working memory to upgrade the card or the driver.

A few questions:

How can I check my system specs (including video card)?
How can I check the free memory to use a new card?

Thank you for replying Allan!

Mike.

Edited by mike=))., 22 November 2011 - 04:39 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

This video card should work barring in mind that you have a 400w PSU or greater: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161308

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

The problem certainly sounds like a bad card to me - though there's no way to be 100% certain without changing it. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users