Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Hard Drive? or something else...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FrogerMan

FrogerMan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

I was plugging in a new modem and I unplugged my pc power cord while it was on by mistake. When I tried turning on my pc after plugging it in I just get a black screen. I have removed all the components and rest them and the same thing happens. My monitor recognizes being plugged in because it does not say cable not connected on the screen. I have 3 graphics cards and it stays black with all of them. I have also tried just using each memory card individually to see if one was bad but nothing changed. It powers on and sounds normal but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

With the system powered down...try flipping the PSU power switch to the OFF position for a few seconds...then returning it to the ON position...and then trying to boot the system.

Louis

#3 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

It should not make any difference unplugging pc power cord with pc on or off { other than a disk check } I`ve done it a hundred times with computers running and no harm came of it. I would check your battery on the motherboard { dead or weak batteries causes bios to return to default settings } then after check or replacement of battery, remove all graphics cards and start with either the onboard video or if no onboard video then a single video card and if that works then proceed with setting up the rest of your video cards as if it were the first time . Oh by the way , I hope you mean an external modem because if you tried to install an internal modem { pci or such } with pc running then you have shorted you pci bus and your motherboard is toast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users