Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Woke up this morning and PC was in odd state

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 anon102

anon102

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

Good Morning,

Today when I checked in on My PC I noticed that all the icons on the desktop were ghosted and some were missing. Also there were no programs shortcuts in the task bar. IE and Firefox were gone, and so was the shortcut to your folders. All of the icons that start with the PC were still running in the bottom right looked normal. I decided to reboot the pc and when i did there was nothing on the desktop except the recycle bin.

I tried running system restore and it keeps failing. It will either tell me the drive might be corrupt, or that a virus program is running. Before i go any furthur i thought i would ask for help.

I thought it might be a bad drive, however my other internal drive is showing empty, and aslo my external drive shows nothing on it. Both had quite a few files on them.

I looked at the history for Avaria and it doesn't show any recent threats found.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.
Download and run UnHide
Let me know, if it worked.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 anon102

anon102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hi Broni,

Sorry for the delay in reply. Been out most of the weekend. Thank you though for your quick response. I ran unhide and most of the files and icons came back. I disabled anti-virus and got a few more back. I am still missing the bottom left task bar shortcuts, as well as the quick key into the my documents folder. Additionally when you click the windows icon for the start a program menu the entire right side is gone. This is where you would typically click my computer or jump to the control panel. Right now that's blank.

Appreciate the assistance thus far. What should I look for next, and any idea what could have caused this?

Kind Regards,
Ryan

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:15 PM

Additionally when you click the windows icon for the start a program menu the entire right side is gone. This is where you would typically click my computer or jump to the control panel. Right now that's blank.

Can you provide a screenshot?

Do you have Windows 7 DVD?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 anon102

anon102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

Attached is a screenshot. I do have the DVD for Windows 7.

Attached Files

• Attached File  DT2.gif   384.35KB   10 downloads

#6 John Erwin

John Erwin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:53 AM

From Microsoft help

Missing codec: Microsoft DSAT Display (67).

Windows Media Player can't play the file (or can't play either the audio or video portion of the file) because the required codec isn't installed on your computer.

else try this site http://www.techyv.com/questions/theres-something-wrong-my-windows-side-bar

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

I suggest Windows repair installation: http://www.w7forums.com/repair-install-t1204.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 anon102

anon102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

Broni,

I ran the Windows repair and everything seems pretty much back to normal. One of the programs was missing a system file, but should be fixed after a reinstall of that program. There are still no shrtcuts under the admin icon in the start up menu. I could have sworn there was something there prior.

Any idea why the icons would do this, or typical things to check? I don;t recall installing any new programs recently.

Thanks again,
Ryan

#9 -KFS

-KFS

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

Quick question, did you receive any "system" pop ups, alerting you about a possible corrupt hard drive??

#10 anon102

anon102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

I did not. The only system messages that I received were for programs that were failing to start. My first thought was bad hard drive also. Is there a way to check for a bad drive or would you just run the error check?

Thanks,

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Good news :)

There are still no shrtcuts under the admin icon in the start up menu

Can you be more specific?
I'm on Vista so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 anon102

anon102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

In the above picture the arrow points the the column to the right hand side of the start menu. I could have sworn that there were shortcuts to my computer and the control panel there amongst other things.

Ryan

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

Do you mean this?

Attached File  SNAG-0001.gif   21.29KB   1 downloads

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 anon102

anon102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

Exactly

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

Possible fix: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/148461-personal-user-folder-restore-missing-folder.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users