Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slave hard drive shows different assigned letter on itself than what is on master

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bbbyrd

bbbyrd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

I have two hard drives in my computer which is a old Compaq Presario 5WV271 5000 series, both hard drives have Windows XP pro (service pack 3)that I installed on it years ago. It has the max alotted memory, a 10/100 PCI NIC, 900 MHz AMD Athlon Processor, a master hard drive 40 GB (drive C) that I am using to connect here and a slave hard drive 60 GB that says drive D when I am using it but not found when on drive C. For some reason drive C shows a (New Volume F). I am posting here to see if anyone can help me to understand why my slave drive which started out being New Volume F (which it still is when I look for it from drive C) is showing local disk D when I am using the slave. Does anyone have any idea why the slave would reletter itself and how do I correct this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

I will try :).

Drive letters are normally assigned by Windows...in the order in which a drive is detected...with one exception. The optical drive is obviously the first drive detected when installing Windows from CD...but it always will receive the D: letter, assuming that there are only two drives (hard drive and an optical drive) attached to the system and, therefore, recognized as existing.

These rules do not apply to any OEM system where a manufacturer has installed Windows and possibly also created either hidden or additional partitions.

Sooo...when I install XP, I have one hard drive connected...with nothing on it...and an optical drive. The optical drive is set up as D: and the partition I create and install XP upon...is set up as C:.

I have no card readers or external drives or USB drives attached, since these can interfere with the hardware recognition process.

Once XP is installed, I open it and decide to create additional partitions on my very large hard drive. I create a storage partition of 100GB and Windows assigns the letter E:. I create an additional storage partition of 150GB and Windows assigns the letter F:.

I then decide to install another version of Windows...on the same hard drive. I use my install CD to create the partition and install Windows and it assigns the letter G: to that install...because C:, D:, E:, F: are already accounted for and in use.

I now have a dual-boot, if I have done everything smartly. One version of Windows as the first recognized partition, one version of Windows as the last recognized partition.

All is well and makes sense...until I boot into the other version of Windows. Windows will designate the version which is operative and booted into...as C:...as long as it is being used.

So once I boot into the version which had been F:, it becomes C:. The version which had been recognized as C: is now seen as D: from the second version of Windows. All the other drive letters assigned will probably also change...I say probably because a user can make a drive letter assignment "permanent" by giving it a letter such as "W" or some other letter which won't have a conflict with another partition/drive already having that letter.

Bottom line...only one version of Windows can run at a single point in time...that version will always be seen as C: from within that install. It really doesn't matter what letter is assigned any other version of Windows from within that install...Windows only sees it as just another drive/partition.

Until it is booted into...the drive letter is unimportatnt. Once booted into, the drive letter will be C:.

Louis

#3 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

Drive letters are assigned by windows . Names of drives can be changed by users or progams . Your drive sounds like it was named by a partition program "New volume F ". It means nothing really. Now to understand what is going on in your computer , the first question is "Do you have 2 harddrives or 1 harddrive with 2 partitions?" Go to Start Menu > right click the My computer icon, select properties > select Hardware tab > select Device Manager > expand disk drives . This will show all the HARDWARE drives hooked to your machine . You can also go to properties of each drive and explore the info . Next you can go to my computer which will show you all the logical drives which can be actual hardware { hdds ,usb sticks ,cd or dvd players, external hdd or cd or floppy } or software drives { partitions or virtual cds and network drives etc. }

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users