Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Get Into My Documents

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hey Gang,

I have this old computer that I have decided to try to get to work right. It will not boot in real mode, it will not boot into safe mode. So, I want to scrub the hard drive and reinstall windows, starting fresh.

So,

I don't know what, if any, data is on the hard drive, so I take the hard drive out of the machine and install it as a slave into a working computer. I figure I then can explore the hard drive looking for data to save. However, when I try to access Owner\My Documents I get a 'access denied' error message. I am not sure why, but perhaps there was a password put on this Owner user account? Anyway, no way of finding out what the password is at this point, too much time has elapsed.
Posted Image
So my question is: 1) Do you think the error message is because of a password, or some other reason. and 2) how do I get past this error message and retrieve the data (if any)?

Answers here in this thread or PM me. Thanks, y'all!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

My Access Denied troubleshooter:

XP is full of security features that prevent this from happening. If you're using the NTFS file system, this complicates matters even further.

But, have no fear! :thumbsup: I've been through this myself and am fairly conversant with what is
required to do this. But, the first question that I've got to ask is...did you make your files
and folders private and/or use the EFS option (Encrypted File System) on the account. And, if so, do you have the copy of the key that it asked you to save to a disk when you did it? The answers to these questions will affect the approach that we take. Also, what file system do you use on your hard drive - FAT32 or NTFS? NTFS is the default that the computer is setup with.

There's 3 ways to do this:

1) Boot from a DOS floppy, and then use a free NTFS to DOS reader to copy the files to a FAT32 formatted disk. This will strip the permissions from the files and you'll be able to access them.

The biggest drawback to this method is having a disk (formatted in FAT32) that can hold all of the information. This can be accomplished by partitioning your hard drive with a FAT32 partition, or using and external hard drive that's formatted to FAT32.

2) Use a "live" Linux distribution to copy the files into the Linux OS. This will strip the permissions from them also. I'm not familiar with this method, although it has been recommended by a lot of my colleagues.

3) For simple access problems, the easiest route to take is to take ownership of the files in question. You must be using an account with administrator privileges to do this! To do it, right click on the file/folder that you want to access - and select the "Sharing and Security" menu option. If there is no option for security in this, or the next tab - stop what you're doing and boot your system into Safe Mode (by pressing F8 the moment that Windows starts to load) - then follow these directions there (this has to do with how file sharing is setup on your system).

Once you're in the Security tab for the file/folder that you'd like to take ownership of, scroll down the list until you find the name of the account that you're currently using. Click on it once to highlight it, and then click on the "Advanced" button that's below the list of permissions.

Then, click on the "Owner" tab, click on the name of the account that you're currently in. Then ensure that the box labelled "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" is checked. Then click on Apply, and then OK. You've now taken ownership of this file/folder and anything below it in the directory structure.

BUT... Because of the complex relationship between XP's security features and the NTFS files system's security features - this process can be a bit "flakey". Some of the ownership permissions may not go all the way down through the directory structure. In the event of this happening - you have to go back and take ownership of these files/folders one-by-one until you've obtained access to everything that you need.

FWIW - here's some of the links that I used while troubleshooting this problem for myself:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...aring/index.htm http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;EN-US;q304040
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;281248
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308418
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;308421

Good luck with this, it can be very frustrating! Please let me know the answers to my questions, and if this solution has worked for you.

Edited by usasma, 30 January 2006 - 04:20 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:21 PM

Good reply, John, you should publish it.

phantazy

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

Thanks! I'm trying to get it formatted for the boards here - but just don't have enough time in a day!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

Thanks John,

I'll give these ideas a try when I have a minute, but now it's supper time!

Oh, I took the liberty of formatting your canned speach and posted it HERE. I hope that helps.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Albert! It's one of the "how-to's" that I've been meaning to post (got another offer to do it up also).

So, I got an attack of the "smarts", copied the guide template to Word and saved it on my desktop - now it's just a matter of cut and paste when I'm not online!

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:44 PM

Well, I tried everything suggested, but could not copy or otherwise access data. I did gain some ground in that I was able to open some folders and at least see what was in there, but could not back anything up as 'access was denied' everytime. So, I gave up, and scubbed and resinstalled Windows.

Thanks for your suggestions.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users