Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Wireless... Why?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 logikz

logikz

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:14 AM

have a sweet new router. Connection says connected at 75mbps. Max speed i can get wireless is 280kb/s. Wired i get usually 1.6mb/s. Is this configuration? My cell phone gets faster downloads.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

What is your connection speed with your provider? Computers sharing the connection would cut the bandwith speed. Wireless signal would typically drop on distance and interferences.

Tekken

#3 logikz

logikz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

15meg. Thing is distance doesnt matter, you can be right next to it and the only one on the router and still you get only the same slow speed.

#4 Dusty Coleman

Dusty Coleman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

You need to make sure your wireless is secured and the signal is not open. If you have an open wireless connection you may have neighbors using your wireless which will bottom it out. You may also want to hide your ssid broadcast so no one knows your wireless even exist. You can also use a tool called netstumbler (look it up on google its a free download). Install and run this tool and you can see all the wireless devices broadcasting in your area and what channels they are running on. You can than change your wireless channel to a less used channel if you have a lot of interefernce. Also do you have any file sharing programs running at the time examples would be limewire, frostwire, bitlord, utorrent? These programs will kill you bandwidth if you are uploading or downloading.

If you are still having issues like this you can contact me I can help.

John Coleman

Edited by rigel, 11 November 2011 - 08:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users