Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan horse Agent_r.AQN detected after Zentom System Guard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 kingofbrits

kingofbrits

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

Hello,

I'm running WinXP Pro SP3. My computer was recently infected with Zentom System Guard. Miraculously, I had a system restore point from the day before I was infected, did a restore, and all seemed well for a little bit. Then AVG Free 2012 detected "Trojan horse Agent_r.AQN." The infected file is reported as C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mrxsmb.sys.

Boopme was helping me in the "Am I Infected?" forum but directed me here after we tried a few things: MiniToolBox, rkill, MBAM, and ESET. That information and the logs is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic426235.html

He then directed me to steps 6-9 in the "Preparation Guide for use before using malware removal tools and requesting help." I ran DeFogger and then tried to run DDS, but all I got was a corrupted text file - the text was all random special characters. I've attached a portion of it for reference. I then ran GMER, and that log is also attached. Finally, I've attached a screenshot of the message I'm getting from AVG. I'd greatly appreciate any help y'all can give.

Thank you,
Brandon

Attached Files

Edited by kingofbrits, 10 November 2011 - 11:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

Posted Image In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/427350 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

Posted Image If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner.

Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.

Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 kingofbrits

kingofbrits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

My new DDS and GMER logs are attached. DDS still didn't seem to run properly, though, so I cropped the file. I'm running 32 bit WinXP Pro SP3. I don't have the original Windows CD, but I do have a different copy that I could install if necessary.

Thanks again for any help,
Brandon

Attached Files

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

Hi Brandon.

My name is Casey and I will be helping you with your malware problems.

It is very important that you do not make any changes to this PC. Specifically, do not run any further malware removal tools or try to remove anything yourself.

You may wish to "Watch Topic" so that you are immediately informed of any replies I make. I also ask that you reply to my posts within 5 days else your topic will be closed as stale.

Throughout the removal process, if you have any questions then you should ask them. If you are unsure of my instructions or something does not go as planned - then please tell me. Conversely, it is also important that you answer any questions I have and that you keep me updated on the state of the PC.

:step1: Please visit this webpage for download links and instructions for running ComboFix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. If you are prompted to install the Recovery Console, then please do so.

Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

Note: If you have trouble running ComboFix, then please rename ComboFix.exe to Caseyboy.exe and re-run.

Regards,

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#5 kingofbrits

kingofbrits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:26 AM

Thank you for your help, Casey! I've run ComboFix and attached the log.

Attached Files

#6 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

:step1: How is the PC running after running ComboFix?

:step2: There is a sign of a left over of iolo Antivirus on your PC - do you still use it?

:step3: The following is listed as a start page for your browser: C:/Documents and Settings/Brandon/My Documents/Links v3.2.htm is this intentional?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#7 kingofbrits

kingofbrits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

1. It does seem to be running better. It had been sluggish and would seem to run out of resources pretty quickly, and that appears to have improved. I still get the original error message from AVG (the screenshot in my first post), though.

2. I don't use iolo anymore, but it's been a major pain to get off my system.

3. Yes, my start page is intentional.

Thanks,
Brandon

#8 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

Hi Brandon,

OK, well let's check that file out :)

Please visit the online Jotti Virus Scanner Posted Image<--link
  • Browse to the following filepath:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mrxsmb.sys

• Click on the Posted Image button.
    The scanner will check the file with various AV companies.
  • Copy and paste the results box into a reply to this thread.
  • Repeat this for all the file listed above

Casey

#9 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

Hi,

This is a 3 day bump.

Hopefully you're still with me but please be aware that if there is no reply within two days, then this topic will be closed as stale.

Casey

#10 kingofbrits

kingofbrits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

Hi Casey,

Sorry for the delay! I was away from the infected computer for a few days and forgot to post this before I left. I apologize.

Here are the results of the scan:

[ArcaVir] 2011-11-23 Rootkit.Zaccess.J
[Frisk F-Prot Antivirus] 2011-11-22 W32/FakeAlert.RL.gen!Eldorado
[Avast! antivirus] 2011-11-23 Win32:Aluroot
[F-Secure Anti-Virus] 2011-11-23 Trojan.Generic.KDV.381678
[Grisoft AVG Anti-Virus] 2011-11-23 Agent_r.AQN
[G DATA] 2011-11-23 Trojan.Generic.KDV.381678
[Avira AntiVir] 2011-11-23 TR/Drop.Sirefef.B.1718
[Ikarus] 2011-11-23 Rootkit.Win32.ZAccess
[Softwin BitDefender] 2011-11-23 Trojan.Generic.KDV.381678
[Kaspersky Anti-Virus] 2011-11-23 Rootkit.Win32.ZAccess.j
[ClamAV] 2011-11-23 Trojan.Rootkit-3159
[Panda Antivirus] 2011-11-23 Found nothing
[CPsecure] 2011-11-23 Found nothing
[Quick Heal] 2011-11-20 Found nothing
[Dr.Web] 2011-11-23 Found nothing
[Sophos] 2011-11-23 Troj/ZAccess-H
[Emsisoft Anti-Malware] 2011-11-23 Rootkit.Win32.ZAccess!IK
[VirusBlokAda VBA32] 2011-11-23 Rootkit.ZAccess.j
[ESET] 2011-11-23 Win32/Kryptik.TKY
[VirusBuster] 2011-11-23 Found nothing

Additional info
File size: 456320 bytes
Filetype: PE32 executable for MS Windows (DLL) (native) Intel 80386 32-bit
MD5: a856deef1c86614490ce18519e7cabed
SHA1: 465dd28220fba0a7740f1ce5d86bba46943148c0

Thanks,
Brandon

#11 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:26 AM

Hi Brandon,

Bad news I'm afraid.

:step1: Backdoor Trojan warning (Zero Access Rootkit)

I hate to give you bad news, but one or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

:step2: We need to create an OTL Report
  • Please download OTL from here
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Copy and Paste the following code into the Posted Image textbox.
    /md5start
    mrxsmb.sys
    /md5stop
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
  • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
  • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized

Casey

#12 kingofbrits

kingofbrits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

Oh, dear. I would probably like to format and reinstall the OS, but your post raises a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with.

• Could other machines connected to my home network have been infected from the original machine?
  • Could the infection be carried on a flash drive from the infected machine to another?
  • If I format and reinstall the OS, there are files, folders, etc. (mostly Word, Excel, .jpg, some .exe and some .zip, etc.) that I'd like to backup and transfer back to the machine after formatting. If I keep these files, is there a risk the infection will be transferred back to the machine after formatting it?

It's saying my post is too long, so I'll try to post the OTL logs in a new reply. I noticed the default setting was 30 days, so I didn't change it, but I think the problem may have started a little more than 30 days ago now. Please let met know if I should change the 30 day setting and scan again. You could really learn a lot about someone from some of these scans, huh? :)

-Brandon

#13 kingofbrits

kingofbrits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

It's saying even just the OTL log is too long, so I've attached OTL, and Extras is below.

==========================EXTRAS==========================

OTL Extras logfile created on: 11/27/2011 9:26:52 AM - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.31.0 Folder = K:\Virus removal 2011-11-07
Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 3 (Version = 5.1.2600) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 6.0.2900.5512)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

3.00 Gb Total Physical Memory | 2.13 Gb Available Physical Memory | 71.17% Memory free
4.34 Gb Paging File | 3.43 Gb Available in Paging File | 78.94% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 1536 3072 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 145.31 Gb Total Space | 34.67 Gb Free Space | 23.86% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 111.75 Gb Total Space | 5.25 Gb Free Space | 4.70% Space Free | Partition Type: FAT32
Drive G: | 1397.26 Gb Total Space | 1384.74 Gb Free Space | 99.10% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive H: | 465.76 Gb Total Space | 334.45 Gb Free Space | 71.81% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive K: | 3.77 Gb Total Space | 3.10 Gb Free Space | 82.14% Space Free | Partition Type: FAT32

Computer Name: BHAWK | User Name: Brandon | Logged in as Administrator.
Boot Mode: Normal | Scan Mode: All users
Company Name Whitelist: Off | Skip Microsoft Files: Off | No Company Name Whitelist: On | File Age = 30 Days

========== Extra Registry (SafeList) ==========

========== File Associations ==========

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\<extension>]
.cpl [@ = cplfile] -- rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "%1",%*
.url [@ = InternetShortcut] -- rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-589436398-3639259395-1858584781-1005\SOFTWARE\Classes\<extension>]
.html [@ = FirefoxHTML] -- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe (Mozilla Corporation)

========== Shell Spawning ==========

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\<key>\shell\[command]\command]
batfile [open] -- "%1" %*
cmdfile [open] -- "%1" %*
comfile [open] -- "%1" %*
cplfile [cplopen] -- rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "%1",%*
exefile [open] -- "%1" %*
https [open] -- "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -requestPending -osint -url "%1" (Mozilla Corporation)
InternetShortcut [open] -- rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
piffile [open] -- "%1" %*
regfile [merge] -- Reg Error: Key error.
scrfile [config] -- "%1"
scrfile [install] -- rundll32.exe desk.cpl,InstallScreenSaver %l
scrfile [open] -- "%1" /S
txtfile [edit] -- Reg Error: Key error.
Unknown [openas] -- %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1
Directory [Digital Photo Professional] -- C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional\DPPViewer.exe /path "%1" (CANON INC.)
Directory [find] -- %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe (Microsoft Corporation)
Directory [ID3-TagIT] -- "C:\Program Files\ID3 TagIt\ID3-TagIT 3\ID3-TagIT.exe" "/P=%1" ( )
Directory [Winamp.Bookmark] -- "C:\Program Files\Winamp 5\winamp.exe" /BOOKMARK "%1" (Nullsoft)
Directory [Winamp.Enqueue] -- "C:\Program Files\Winamp 5\winamp.exe" /ADD "%1" (Nullsoft)
Directory [Winamp.Play] -- "C:\Program Files\Winamp 5\winamp.exe" "%1" (Nullsoft)
Folder [open] -- %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L (Microsoft Corporation)
Folder [explore] -- %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e,/idlist,%I,%L (Microsoft Corporation)
Drive [find] -- %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe (Microsoft Corporation)

========== Security Center Settings ==========

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]
"FirstRunDisabled" = 1
"AntiVirusDisableNotify" = 0
"FirewallDisableNotify" = 0
"UpdatesDisableNotify" = 0
"AntiVirusOverride" = 0
"FirewallOverride" = 0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\AhnlabAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\ComputerAssociatesAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\KasperskyAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\McAfeeAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\McAfeeFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\PandaAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\PandaFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SophosAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\TinyFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\TrendAntiVirus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\TrendFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\ZoneLabsFirewall]

========== System Restore Settings ==========

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
"DisableSR" = 0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sr]
"Start" = 0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SrService]
"Start" = 2

========== Firewall Settings ==========

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"139:TCP" = 139:TCP:*:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22004
"445:TCP" = 445:TCP:*:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22005
"137:UDP" = 137:UDP:*:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22001
"138:UDP" = 138:UDP:*:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22002
"3389:TCP" = 3389:TCP:*:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22009

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile]
"EnableFirewall" = 1
"DoNotAllowExceptions" = 0
"DisableNotifications" = 0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"1900:UDP" = 1900:UDP:LocalSubNet:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22007
"2869:TCP" = 2869:TCP:LocalSubNet:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22008
"139:TCP" = 139:TCP:LocalSubNet:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22004
"445:TCP" = 445:TCP:LocalSubNet:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22005
"137:UDP" = 137:UDP:LocalSubNet:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22001
"138:UDP" = 138:UDP:LocalSubNet:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22002
"8022:TCP" = 8022:TCP:*:Enabled:limewire
"3389:TCP" = 3389:TCP:*:Enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22009
"49155:TCP" = 49155:TCP:*:Enabled:Azureus
"990:TCP" = 990:TCP:LocalSubNet:Disabled:Active Sync 1
"999:TCP" = 999:TCP:LocalSubNet:Disabled:Active Sync 2
"5678:TCP" = 5678:TCP:LocalSubNet:Disabled:Active Sync 3
"5679:UDP" = 5679:UDP:LocalSubNet:Disabled:Active Sync 5
"5721:TCP" = 5721:TCP:LocalSubNet:Disabled:Active Sync 4
"10421:UDP" = 10421:UDP:*:Enabled:SingleClick Discovery Protocol
"10426:UDP" = 10426:UDP:*:Enabled:SingleClick ICC

========== Authorized Applications List ==========

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe" = C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe:*:Enabled:AOL
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe" = C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe:*:Enabled:AOL
"C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\waol.exe" = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\waol.exe:*:Enabled:AOL

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe" = C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe:*:Enabled:AOL Instant Messenger -- (America Online, Inc.)
"C:\StubInstaller.exe" = C:\StubInstaller.exe:*:Enabled:LimeWire swarmed installer -- (LimeWire)
"C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe" = C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe:*:Enabled:RealPlayer -- (RealNetworks, Inc.)
"C:\Program Files\Dell Network Assistant\ezi_hnm2.exe" = C:\Program Files\Dell Network Assistant\ezi_hnm2.exe:*:Enabled:Dell Network Assistant -- (SingleClick Systems)
"C:\Program Files\TurboTax\Deluxe 2006\32bit\ttax.exe" = C:\Program Files\TurboTax\Deluxe 2006\32bit\ttax.exe:LocalSubNet:Enabled:TurboTax -- (Intuit, Inc.)
"C:\Program Files\TurboTax\Deluxe 2006\32bit\updatemgr.exe" = C:\Program Files\TurboTax\Deluxe 2006\32bit\updatemgr.exe:LocalSubNet:Enabled:TurboTax Update Manager -- (Intuit, Inc.)
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" = C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe:*:Disabled:Firefox -- (Mozilla Corporation)
"C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgmfapx.exe" = C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgmfapx.exe:*:Enabled:AVG Installer -- (AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
"C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgnsx.exe" = C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgnsx.exe:*:Enabled:Online Shield -- (AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
"C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgdiagex.exe" = C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgdiagex.exe:*:Enabled:AVG Diagnostics 2012 -- (AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)
"C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgemcx.exe" = C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2012\avgemcx.exe:*:Enabled:Personal E-mail Scanner -- (AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.)

========== HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Uninstall List ==========

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]
"{0240BDFB-2995-4A3F-8C96-18D41282B716}" = Dell Network Assistant
"{0456ebd7-5f67-4ab6-852e-63781e3f389c}" = Macromedia Flash Player
"{052B4734-CD9B-468F-B25D-D1E136B2C95A}" = Ad-Aware
"{075473F5-846A-448B-BCB3-104AA1760205}" = Sonic RecordNow Data
"{0BEDBD4E-2D34-47B5-9973-57E62B29307C}" = ATI Control Panel
"{0CB9668D-F979-4F31-B8B8-67FE90F929F8}" = Bonjour
"{0EB5D9B7-8E6C-4A9E-B74F-16B7EE89A67B}" = Microsoft Plus! Photo Story 2 LE
"{1206EF92-2E83-4859-ACCB-2048C3CB7DA6}" = Sonic DLA
"{14374619-0900-4056-BA06-C87C900AF9E6}" = QuickBooks Simple Start Special Edition
"{18D10072035C4515918F7E37EAFAACFC}" = AutoUpdate
"{1CB92574-96F2-467B-B793-5CEB35C40C29}" = Image Resizer Powertoy for Windows XP
"{1F1C2DFC-2D24-3E06-BCB8-725134ADF989}" = Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
"{21657574-BD54-48A2-9450-EB03B2C7FC29}" = Sonic MyDVD LE
"{25AF0BD1-DF07-4447-8E91-28E99617C556}" = DeadAIM
"{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F83217001FF}" = Java™ 7 Update 1
"{30465B6C-B53F-49A1-9EBA-A3F187AD502E}" = Sonic Update Manager
"{33BB4982-DC52-4886-A03B-F4C5C80BEE89}" = Windows Media Player 10
"{350C97B0-3D7C-4EE8-BAA9-00BCB3D54227}" = WebFldrs XP
"{35BDEFF1-A610-4956-A00D-15453C116395}" = Internet Explorer Default Page
"{36BD0774-6CD6-4FF9-A148-83CA09AC123E}" = Intel® PROSafe for Wired Connections
"{3D9892BB-A751-4E48-ADC8-E4289956CE1D}" = QuickTime
"{403EF592-953B-4794-BCEF-ECAB835C2095}" = Intel® PROSafe for Wired Connections
"{4192EAC0-6B36-4723-B216-D0E86E7757AC}" = Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album 5
"{41F4B3D2-3CC8-41B5-99B8-3A9C1BCDEA0A}" = AVG 2012
"{4A03706F-666A-4037-7777-5F2748764D10}" = Java Auto Updater
"{541DEAC0-5F3D-45E6-B7CB-94ECF3B96748}" = Skype web features
"{56F3E1FF-54FE-4384-A153-6CCABA097814}" = Creative MediaSource
"{5783F2D7-4001-0409-0002-0060B0CE6BBA}" = AutoCAD 2006 - English
"{5905F42D-3F5F-4916-ADA6-94A3646AEE76}" = Dell Driver Reset Tool
"{5A0C892E-FD1C-4203-941E-0956AED20A6A}" = APC PowerChute Personal Edition
"{62BD0AE0-4EB1-4BBB-8F43-B6400C8FEB2C}" = AOLIcon
"{63569CE9-FA00-469C-AF5C-E5D4D93ACF91}" = Windows Genuine Advantage v1.3.0254.0
"{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}" = PowerDVD 5.5
"{6E179C77-7335-458D-9537-4F4EAC0181ED}" = Photo Click
"{6E45BA47-383C-4C1E-8ED0-0D4845C293D7}" = Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
"{710f4c1c-cc18-4c49-8cbf-51240c89a1a2}" = Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
"{74F7662C-B1DB-489E-A8AC-07A06B24978B}" = Dell System Restore
"{770657D0-A123-3C07-8E44-1C83EC895118}" = Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053
"{78C496B9-5A6B-4692-8C2E-AFFFC34E4961}" = Jasc Paint Shop Pro Studio, Dell Editon
"{78E33B36-2103-49FC-B058-8CF44B6E75FD}" = Authentium AntiVirus SDK - 2
"{7B63B2922B174135AFC0E1377DD81EC2}" = DivX
"{80F28669-97B7-4CC9-B256-1F1BCFB7FDCF}" = AVG 2012
"{83C1CC71-704D-4B4D-8382-7C3B53B2FC65}" = G21922EN
"{85991ED2-010C-4930-96FA-52F43C2CE98A}" = Apple Mobile Device Support
"{85D3CC30-8859-481A-9654-FD9B74310BEF}" = Musicmatch® Jukebox
"{89F4137D-6C26-4A84-BDB8-2E5A4BB71E00}" = Microsoft Silverlight
"{8B9F6E7C-1EEA-46C5-8BB3-DC976AED2016}" = UltraMon
"{90120000-0020-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}" = Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system
"{90437E5F-0A9E-4B63-AD8B-D232897D18BF}" = ATI Parental Control & Encoder
"{9068B2BE-D93A-4C0A-861C-5E35E2C0E09E}" = Intel Matrix Storage Manager
"{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}" = Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
"{91F7F3F3-CE80-48C3-8327-7D24A0A5716A}" = iTunes
"{A3051CD0-2F64-3813-A88D-B8DCCDE8F8C7}" = Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
"{A462213D-EED4-42C2-9A60-7BDD4D4B0B17}" = SigmaTel Audio
"{AB708C9B-97C8-4AC9-899B-DBF226AC9382}" = Sonic Audio module
"{AC0EE5B0-A8FB-4D0A-AF03-2EDC518F841B}" = Dell Media Experience
"{AF06CAE4-C134-44B1-B699-14FBDB63BD37}" = Dell Picture Studio v3.0
"{AFF1EA96-9C23-4249-B7D4-CD4B54D4582F}" = TurboTax ItsDeductible 2006
"{B12665F4-4E93-4AB4-B7FC-37053B524629}" = Sonic RecordNow Copy
"{B26B00DA-2E5D-4CF2-83C5-911198C0F009}" = GoodSync
"{B2D328BE-45AD-4D92-96F9-2151490A203E}" = Apple Application Support
"{B7FFC71C-CD9C-4A48-8DD1-12BC9B43B2BB}" = SolidWorks 2005 SP0
"{BA68600E-96D9-4E92-80F2-26B9681B5A63}" = Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager Update
"{BE8913B7-B2C4-48BE-8A26-84390FF4F231}" = DMX Update
"{C09FB3CD-3D0C-3F2D-899A-6A1D67F2073F}" = Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
"{C27BC2A2-30DD-4014-B22E-63EB0DB572F9}" = Logitech Webcam Software
"{C41300B9-185D-475E-BFEC-39EF732F19B1}" = Apple Software Update
"{CB2D95C7-189C-4596-B071-CE99C309573D}" = ATI Catalyst Control Center
"{CB2F7EDD-9D1F-43C1-90FC-4F52EAE172A1}" = Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
"{CE2CDD62-0124-36CA-84D3-9F4DCF5C5BD9}" = Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
"{CEB481CC-F57C-4397-81A0-DADD22257047}" = Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
"{D103C4BA-F905-437A-8049-DB24763BBE36}" = Skype™ 4.1
"{D1696920-9794-4BBC-8A30-7A88763DE5A2}" = ABBYY FineReader 5.0 Sprint Plus
"{D5F881C2-B134-474E-AA60-B25DD218AE0D}" = Crash Analysis Tool
"{D6D5CFB3-7095-4073-B6B7-B7E909838C57}" = Razer Copperhead
"{DBCC73BA-C69A-4BF5-B4BF-F07501EE7039}" = AnswerWorks 5.0 English Runtime
"{E09B48B5-E141-427A-AB0C-D3605127224A}" = Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (MICROSOFTSMLBIZ)
"{E4375AC9-EDE1-4943-A0E3-801CEB7041DF}" = Dell Support 3.2.1
"{E93E5EF6-D361-481E-849D-F16EF5C78EBC}" = Musicmatch for Windows Media Player
"{EA2BEBD6-87B9-41E5-95AC-7E4C165A9475}" = WexTech AnswerWorks
"{ED2A3C11-3EA8-4380-B59C-F2C1832731B0}" = Quicken 2009
"{F251B999-08A9-4704-999C-9962F0DFD88E}" = Virtual Desktop Manager Powertoy for Windows XP
"{F333A33D-125C-32A2-8DCE-5C5D14231E27}" = Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime - (v9.0.30729)
"{F333A33D-125C-32A2-8DCE-5C5D14231E27}.vc_x86runtime_30729_01" = Visual C++ 2008 x86 Runtime - v9.0.30729.01
"{F428D0FB-765D-40EB-BDD8-A1E7F5C597FA}" = Update Manager
"Adobe Photoshop 7.0" = Adobe Photoshop 7.0
"Adobe Shockwave Player" = Adobe Shockwave Player
"All ATI Software" = ATI - Software Uninstall Utility
"AOL Instant Messenger" = AOL Instant Messenger
"ATI Display Driver" = ATI Display Driver
"Audacity_is1" = Audacity 1.2.4
"Autodesk DWF Viewer" = Autodesk DWF Viewer
"AVG" = AVG 2012
"BitMeter" = BitMeter
"dBpoweramp Music Converter" = dBpoweramp Music Converter
"Dell Digital Jukebox Driver" = Dell Digital Jukebox Driver
"DPP" = Canon Utilities Digital Photo Professional 3.6
"Easy CD-DA Extractor 12" = Easy CD-DA Extractor 12
"EES - Engineering Equation Solver (DEMO)" = EES - Engineering Equation Solver (DEMO)
"EOS Utility" = Canon Utilities EOS Utility
"ESET Online Scanner" = ESET Online Scanner v3
"HijackThis" = HijackThis 2.0.2
"ID3-TagIT 3_is1" = ID3-TagIT 3
"Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem" = Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem
"iriver Firmware Updater" = iriver Firmware Updater (remove only)
"lvdrivers_12.10" = Logitech Webcam Software Driver Package
"Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware_is1" = Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware version 1.51.2.1300
"Maple 8" = Maple 8
"Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (1033)" = Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1" = Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
"Money2006b" = Microsoft Money 2006
"Mozilla Firefox (3.0.1)" = Mozilla Firefox (3.0.1)
"MSCompPackV1" = Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
"Pdf995" = Pdf995
"PdfEdit995" = PdfEdit995
"PhotoStitch" = Canon Utilities PhotoStitch
"Picture Style Editor" = Canon Utilities Picture Style Editor
"PROSet" = Intel® PRO Network Connections Drivers
"PROSetDX" = Intel® PRO Network Connections Software v9.2.4.11
"RealPlayer 6.0" = RealPlayer
"Revo Uninstaller" = Revo Uninstaller 1.93
"ShockwaveFlash" = Adobe Flash Player 9 ActiveX
"Signature995" = Signature995
"TurboTax Deluxe Deduction Maximizer 2006" = TurboTax Deluxe Deduction Maximizer 2006
"Tweak UI 2.10" = Tweak UI
"Unlocker" = Unlocker 1.8.9
"VLC media player" = VideoLAN VLC media player 0.8.6a
"Winamp" = Winamp (remove only)
"Windows Media Format Runtime" = Windows Media Format 11 runtime
"Windows Media Player" = Windows Media Player 11
"Windows XP Service Pack" = Windows XP Service Pack 3
"WinRAR archiver" = WinRAR archiver
"WMFDist11" = Windows Media Format 11 runtime
"wmp11" = Windows Media Player 11
"Wudf01000" = Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0

========== HKEY_USERS Uninstall List ==========

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-589436398-3639259395-1858584781-1005\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]
"WinDirStat" = WinDirStat 1.1.2

========== Last 10 Event Log Errors ==========

[ Application Events ]
Error - 11/23/2011 12:43:30 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = crypt32 | ID = 131080
Description = Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number
from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt>
with error: This network connection does not exist.

Error - 11/23/2011 12:43:30 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = crypt32 | ID = 131080
Description = Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number
from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt>

Error - 11/23/2011 12:43:31 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = crypt32 | ID = 131080

Error - 11/23/2011 12:43:31 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = crypt32 | ID = 131080

Error - 11/23/2011 1:10:31 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = PerfNet | ID = 2002
Description = Unable to open the Redirector service. Redirector performance data
will
not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

Error - 11/23/2011 1:11:00 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = PerfNet | ID = 2002
Description = Unable to open the Redirector service. Redirector performance data
will

Error - 11/23/2011 1:11:00 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = PerfNet | ID = 2002
will

Error - 11/23/2011 11:15:00 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = PerfNet | ID = 2002
will

Error - 11/23/2011 11:15:23 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = PerfNet | ID = 2002
will

Error - 11/23/2011 11:15:23 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = PerfNet | ID = 2002
will

[ System Events ]
Error - 11/27/2011 12:27:34 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7001
Description = The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Telephony
service which failed to start because of the following error: %%1058

Error - 11/27/2011 12:29:34 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7001
Description = The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Telephony

Error - 11/27/2011 12:32:03 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7001

Error - 11/27/2011 12:39:36 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7001

Error - 11/27/2011 12:40:03 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = Workstation | ID = 5727
Description = Could not load RDR device driver.

Error - 11/27/2011 12:40:03 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = Workstation | ID = 5727
Description = Could not load RDR device driver.

Error - 11/27/2011 12:40:03 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7024
Description = The Workstation service terminated with service-specific error 2250
(0x8CA).

Error - 11/27/2011 12:40:03 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7001
Description = The Computer Browser service depends on the Workstation service which
failed to start because of the following error: %%1066

Error - 11/27/2011 12:40:03 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7024
Description = The Workstation service terminated with service-specific error 2250
(0x8CA).

Error - 11/27/2011 12:40:03 AM | Computer Name = BHAWK | Source = Service Control Manager | ID = 7001
Description = The Computer Browser service depends on the Workstation service which
failed to start because of the following error: %%1066

< End of report >

Attached Files

#14 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

Hi Brandon,

Oh, dear. I would probably like to format and reinstall the OS

It's completely your decision, but just to let you know we have identified the rootkit and should be able to clean it. It's just that I can't guarantee it hasn't done anything other damage.

Could other machines connected to my home network have been infected from the original machine?

It's possible, but if they're not displaying any symptoms then probably not.

Could the infection be carried on a flash drive from the infected machine to another?

Same as above.

If I format and reinstall the OS, there are files, folders, etc. (mostly Word, Excel, .jpg, some .exe and some .zip, etc.) that I'd like to backup and transfer back to the machine after formatting. If I keep these files, is there a risk the infection will be transferred back to the machine after formatting it?

No, this infection doesn't infect your personal files - it goes after Windows files.

Let me know what you decide to do :)

Casey

#15 kingofbrits

kingofbrits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

Well that's some good news! And fortunately the machine's been mostly disconnected from the internet since I discovered the infection.

I'm changing passwords now, but to help my understanding of how these things work, if I haven't typed any passwords, made any purchases, etc. on that machine since it was infected, is there still a risk that passwords, credit card numbers, etc. could have been stolen?

I guess I'd like to try cleaning it first and see how that goes. I'd rather reformat as a last resort. How should we get started?

Thanks!
Brandon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users