Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn Non Bootable Disc Into Bootable Disc?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

Can it be done?

I have a copy of winxp pro, but it's not a bootable disc. Can I copy the CD again using, say NTI CD maker 6 and make it bootable? NTI has an option "make bootable disc", but I don't really know if it works with winxp pro. Does it? I also have nero (own it, not a trial version) and THINK that nero has a "make bootable" option, but can't be sure.

If I can do this, it will save me from having to install w2k pro first (cuz I have that on a bootable disc) then installing winxp pro after starting the machine with w2k pro. I'll be doing my sons machine tonight, and I'd like to avoid having dual OS's if I can.

Any advice would be great! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:35 AM

I have never seen a non-boot XP Pro disk. Have to checked the BIOS to make sure the CD is first in the Boot Order.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

If you've copied XP to another CD - then you're probably not going to be able to easily boot it.

But, this brings up an interesting point - what are you going to do about the CD Key, Registration, and Activation of the XP license? XP won't let you run duplicate copies (it violates the EULA that you agree to when you install it) - which then puts you at risk of being prosecuted for it.

If your original disk is bad, you can contact Microsoft for replacement media (there may be a fee).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

But, this brings up an interesting point - what are you going to do about the CD Key, Registration, and Activation of the XP license? XP won't let you run duplicate copies (it violates the EULA that you agree to when you install it) - which then puts you at risk of being prosecuted for it.

Not to mention the first time you log on to MicroSoft for updates they will deactivate both installs and force you to call them to aquire another activation code.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:03 PM

Long story short, my copy of xp pro is legit. Bill Gates isn't getting ripped off by me. When I do updates and everything else, the cops don't show up so I think I'm ok. I got it from someone when their computer died they oredered another machine online that came with an OS. Since his first machine was custom built, it had winxp pro on it, he gave me his disc, which I made a copy of. Glad I made a copy of it because my daughter (when she was about 3 1/2 or 4?)) slid it back and forth across the floor, along with some other CD's. From that point on I have always understood why wild animals sometimes eat their young.

I've tried installing it on my machine, but couldn't get it to boot. I changed the bios to boot from the CD first, but it kept giving me an error saying that a file was missing. I can't remember what the file was called, but I looked it up and it said it was a boot file.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

Yep, the boot files aren't on the CD - so this will always come up as mising. Since it's a legit copy and you've got all the legal stuff covered, you might want to try another XP CD and see if you can get it to take your CD Key (it's very finicky about the disk tho' - it has to be exactly the same kind of disk.

Another option is to contact Microsoft for a replacement CD - they should provide one at a reasonable cost. If it's an OEM disk - you may be able to get a copy from the OEM too.

I presume that the disk boots into some form of DOS - but not knowing which version would seriously hamper any efforts to assemble a boot disk from scratch.

One idea - but I have no clue on how to do this. Create a bootable CD or an image - then slipstream it with your XP CD. Might just work! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

Slipstream? Doesn't that have something to do with airplanes or fuel economy? :thumbsup: J/K!

I installed it the old faithful way, w2k first on a 5gb partition, then formatted the remaining 75 gigs and installed xp pro on that (on the larger partition). I think I might end up getting that new disc from microsoft so that I can :flowers: have a bootable CD. I'll call Bill Gates tonight and chat about it :trumpet:
Posted Image

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

Slipstreaming is a procedure where you burn a CD of your installation CD that combines all present updates with the files that create an operable OS on your HD.

A legitimate alternative to having, as I do, a winXPhome retail install CD dated 2003.
Saves a lot of updating after freshly loading it, since it only has SP1 integral on it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=slips...G=Google+Search
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users