Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C Drive is almost full

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 oeslinda

oeslinda

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

Hey everyone.. I am working on Window XP. A message comes up that my C drive is almost full. It prompts me to do a cleaning and I have done that many times there is still no space. I have deleted everything that I could off the drive and that has still been no help. In fact I deleted a few things and it showed i had 700 plus mb of space and I came back the next morning and turned on the computer and there was only 200 plus mb's of space left. I have not added any thing and the only thing that has been happening is the up dates that the computer does before I shut down. I just don't know what else to do to try to get more space on this drive. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

There's a tool called WinDirStat which may tell you what is sucking up all your disk space. It's free and you can download it from here: http://windirstat.info/download.html

WinDirStat creates a map of your hard drive, with files represented by colored blocks:
Posted Image

This is an image of my hard drive. As you can see, most files are just tiny squares. There are, however, two huge red blocks on the left side. These two files (on my hard drive) are part of Windows and are expected to be huge.

Notice also the folder tree above the map. The "Subtree Percent" column shows how much of your hard drive each file or directory occupies, with the biggest directories at the top. You can use this to discover huge directories if no single file is obviously huge.

If you find the culprit but don't know what it is, just ask and we'll figure it out.

Note: WinDirStat might take a while to finish depending on the size of your hard drive, number of files, and other factors.

Edited by Andrew, 10 November 2011 - 06:25 PM.

#3 oeslinda

oeslinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

I am looking at the graphics for my computer and it looks like window installer may be the biggest part of the blue area.I have one large red box and them the blue area is hugh.The icons to the right that show which color is for what program shows window installer as that color blue only. Not sure how to take a screen shot for you to see.
Thanks for your help and I hope this info will give you more clues as to what I should do mext. Thanks again.

#4 oeslinda

oeslinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

Windows is showing 81 % of my drive..

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

What is your hard drive capacity?

Tekken

#6 oeslinda

oeslinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

40.0 GB ? does that sound correct???

#7 oeslinda

oeslinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

How do I post a screen shot like you have above???

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial96.html

Louis

#9 oeslinda

oeslinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Louis.

#10 oeslinda

oeslinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

Here is a shot of what my computer is holding I hope this is helpfull....

Attached Files

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

My, my! That certainly is a lot of MSP files, isn't it?

Let's try this. Please download MsiZap.Exe. This is a Microsoft utility for deleting MSP files that are no longer needed.

Copy the MsiZap.Exe file to the top level of the C:\ drive.
Posted Image

Then, click the Start button, and click on "Run..." from the menu.
Posted Image

In the Run... box, copy this: C:\MsiZap.Exe G! and press enter.
Posted Image

This process might take some time to complete. Once it's done, reboot and check how much space was freed.

#12 oeslinda

oeslinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

I tried this and it will not download to my computer. I am not sure what else to do to get it to work.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

FWIW: I succeeded in downloading the referenced tool...but it will not install on my XP.

From comments by Mr. Stebner at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2004/09/08/227118.aspx , it seems suggested to just use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. which is no longer supported by MS.

I suggest that you await further input from Andrew :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2011 - 10:46 AM.

#14 oeslinda

oeslinda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

I looked at this blog and am some what confused about it. Is there something else that I can use to help with my problem? Thanks so much everyone for your help up t now. :)

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

Personally...I'd like to see the detail...which makes that Windows folder so large...before anything else. That folder is as large as my entire partition for XP.

Double-click that folder in WinDirStat to see the detail...and then post a screenshot after all detail is reflected, please.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users