Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop does not detect graphics card

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 buxomblondie

buxomblondie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

My relatively new laptop (2 months old) isn't detecting my graphics card that game with it, a Radeon HD 6470M. When I originally had it I was able to play games, mainly league of legends, on the highest settings. then the graphics slowed down substantially and recently i found that in my device manager, the radeon hd card that used to be listed isn't there anymore.

so far i have tried installing several amd applications that i thought might help and tried to install the drivers for the card but it wouldn't allow me to since the computer can't detect the card. any suggestions?

also here are the specs to my computer
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/10/2011, 13:44:09
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 380 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5942MB RAM
Page File: 2280MB used, 9601MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

screenie of my device manager

Edited by buxomblondie, 10 November 2011 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

take it back to where you bought it for warranty work

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

The fact that your device manager shows only Intel graphics seems to indicate either:

1: The Radeon Graphics are turned off - check for a key combination or BIOS option to disable/enable the ATI GPU. This might have a name that indicates a low-power or long battery life mode. I know some Toshiba models do have a key combination to do this. HP documentation I've found seems to have little information about BIOS settings or low-power modes.

2: the Radeon Graphics have failed. As caperdog suggests, this would require service attention.

Edited by Platypus, 11 November 2011 - 09:31 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users