Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warranty Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lesm64

Lesm64

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with my question.

My laptop, which I bought a few months ago, recently began running very slowly. A friend told me that this was due to a defective hard drive, since a chkdsk scan revealed a large number of unreadable file segments on my main drive. My computer is covered under the hardware warranty for Best Buy, but when I brought it in to be fixed, I learned that compouter problems that could not immediately be identified, such as a damaged drive, were only partially covered by the hardware warranty. I would either need to pay extra to get the laptop shipped off without having the problem looked at by Best Buy, or else get a tech support warranty so the problem could be identified before it was shipped. I was also concerned that Best Buy was shipping the computer off to the manufacturer, Acer, which makes it sound like my hardware warranty doesn't matter at all, and instead the manufacterer's warranty is enough to get my hard drive replaced.

I'd like to ask people here who are more knowledgeable about computer purchases whether some computer sellers offer more comprehensive or cheaper warranties than others. If not, do you guys generally purchase any warranty at all besides the manufacturer's? For my 500 dollar machine, spending 350 dollars for two years of hardware and tech support doesn't seem like a very good deal, but having nothing to cover replacement for things like a broken hard drive seems bad too.

Edited by Lesm64, 10 November 2011 - 04:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

I would recomend contacting Acer directly, and seeing what they can do for you. You should be able to warranty it straight through acer withoug going through best buy, you may have to pay for shipping but that will probably be less then what best buy will charge.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

Never buy a extended warranty from anyone but the manufacturer.

For example Dell, Lenovo, & Toshiba will sell you a warranty that covers accidental damage. Plus Lenovo has warranty service centers all over many of them independents. Dell does their own repairs exclusively. Toshiba has their own service center and authorized Service Providers (ASPs).

I know of someone that had the best level of extended warranty on a Lenovo Thinkpad. They left it on the roof of the car and started to drive off. OOPS!

My understanding is that the Motherboard, hard drive, screen and most all of the housings are being replaced under warranty. That would be the base, top cover, keyboard, rear screen cover, and Bezel. Pretty much the whole thing. You would think they would just replace it but .....

Edited by rotor123, 25 November 2011 - 06:35 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

Not to mention it is my understanding that the Best Buy warranty only kicks in once the manufacturers warranty runs out.
My other understanding is that they ship all hardware work to a center to be performed. About the only hardware work they do in the store would be memory upgrades.

Back up any data you care about since that isn't covered by warranty. Did you make the recovery DVDs? Usually about three DVD blanks are needed. You may need them.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users