Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Me Startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wizardofaus

wizardofaus

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:23 AM

I installed a DSL modem on a friends machine (my old computer). Installation was OK, but his previous ISP had BT Modem Lock in place. This meant I was unable to connect using the new modem - it would only allow the old ISP/modem connection to work.

I tried to uninstall the BT Modem Lock, which wouldnt work, so I deleted the files.

Now the Comp hangs on start just after "install mouse". I assume it is looking for the modem lock which used to start with windows.

Is there any way around this? Win 98 was preinstalled when I first bought the computer 4 years ago, so there is no way I can reinstall ME

Mod: Since this was a hardware problem I have moved it to the Hardware Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 31 January 2006 - 09:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

This is really embarrassing.......... :thumbsup:

after ginning about like a madman for hours, I unplugged the new USB modem...and windows started. (This was after doing a system restore in DOS etc etc etc)

Now the question....

ME starts up fine as long as the modem isnt plugged in. If it is plugged in it stalls on startup. Once it is started I can plug the modem in and connect and all that techie stuff.

I assume its a USB problem, but is it USB bus problem, driver problem or modem problem????

Any ideas welcome

#3 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

Go ahead and check if all of the old modem's drivers are un-installed. After that go ahead and unistall the new modems drivers, Restart and then re-install the new modem. Then report back and tell me if you got any progress.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#4 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

Yeah - all the old modem's drivers were uninstalled.

I think the problem is the drivers I loaded for the modem came off the ISP's disk, which wont load in their crap install autorun. I manually installed the drivers, but I figure if they cant get autorun right on a CD, what chance have they got of getting anything else right??

I'll contact the modem manufacturer tomorrow.......

Problem is, this isnt my machine - Its one I gave away, so I only get to work on it in fits and starts

#5 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:24 PM

Well good luck! Keep in touch here though. Someone may read this and figure it out.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:03 PM

Do you have an ethernet port on your modem? I find USB problematic at best and should not be used unless you have no other choice.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:09 AM

The machine has an ethernet port, but the modem is a USB modem. At the moment plugging the modem in after the computer is up and running isnt a huge issue (remember - it isnt my computer, I'm not the one who has to do it every day :thumbsup: )

I'm still pretty sure its a driver problem.

The really embarassing thing is I have a vague sort of memory that years ago - so long ago I cant remember when - I had a similar problem with windows hanging after I installed hardware..............and the solution was similar.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:33 AM

Make sure you have the CD for the following. Go into the Device Manager and delete the USB bus and NIC from the Device Manager. Boot windows. When Windows starts it will reinsatll the USB bus. Once it is reistalled reinstall the Modem software. Then plug in the USB device. I would restart the computer after the Modem software is install even if not prompted to do so.
Have you though of recommendin to your friend to swap out the modem for one with an ethernet port?

#9 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:09 PM

Sorry for possing A question in someone else's forum but: If it were A driver problem, wouldn't the modem still not work even when waiting for windows to boot? Sounds like A Bios problem to me. Maybe there's an invalid registry key somewhere?

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

I was seeing if the USB drivers or modem divers were corrupted and may be reinstalling them would clear this up.
Are you aware of a HKey that could solve this issue? I am not aware of a BIOS issue either. I am open to sugesstion. I don't mind the help at all.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:08 PM

If you're not using the Ethernet - disable it.

Also, you may not have gotten all the old files. The easiest way to do this is to reinstall the old stuff while tracking it with the last freeware version of Total Uninstall ( http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/util/uninst.html ). That will tell you what files and registry settings were added/changed/deleted.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users