Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Boot problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 R Lar

R Lar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

Ok, i'm not sure what is going on, but heres my situation.

My last up my computer kept overheating and crashing and would always freeze at the "Starting windows" with the little windows logo. Decided, to rebuild and replaced majority of the parts EXCEPT the video card and hard drives.

Current specs:
i5 2500k OC to 4.5ghz stable
Z68MA D2H B3 mobo
8GB Kingston hyper x ram 1333
nvidia 280GTX
Coolermaster 212+

install windows ultimate x64, works fine. Go to play a game today... won't load. I shut down and restart. Now it stuck at "Starting windows" with the windows logo screen. I don't know what the problem is or what I should do. Thinking about reinstalling the OS and see if that works.

Edited by R Lar, 10 November 2011 - 03:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R Lar

R Lar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

I have two drives one i use for my OS and one for my media. Is it possible that a virus maybe on my D drive corrupting my C drive each time?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

Obvious suspect, IMO...PSU...or hard drive.

What makes the hard drive immune from replacement or diagnostic testing? Running such will tell you whether the drives are working properly or not. Why look for a complicated answer of "malware"...when there more obvious hardware possibilities that could be the answer?

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#4 R Lar

R Lar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

You really think it could be the power supply? If it were, wouldn't my computer be restarting or shutting off? I've never had these problems before.

I should probably detail my hard drives a bit more. One is a raptor 32gb, the other two were for media each about 230GB.

So far, i've tried reinstalling the OS on two of the drives, the 32gb and one of the media. Each time I go to install i always run into an issue though... for instance sometimes it would just get stuck and the "setup is starting". It did go to the install screen though a couple times and I did format all the drives just to be sure and attempt to install the OS, but the install would never I guess "finish" computer would just get stuck. Now as far as I know its supposed to reboot and finish up the install with the whole "Enter PC name, Updates, ECT.." but its not even getting to that point now.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

Each time I go to install i always run into an issue though... for instance sometimes it would just get stuck and the "setup is starting".

Your post indicates as hamluis has suggested. Power supply or hard drive. You must clear first of either hard drive by running the diagnostic test before proceeding to reinstalling the OS. If it gets stuck then borrow another PSU which must be the same or greater output. Make sure also that the optcial drive is still reliable by checking on another system.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users