Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Packard Bell beeping - sounds like a police car

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Missybubz

Missybubz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

My computer was apparently made in 1999 - according to computer images on the computer.
For the past 6-18 months (really can't remember) my computer tower has been beeping - it happens at any time very randomly and can last for 2 beeps to over 20 - 30 .. have never really counted as try to block it out but the last one i counted was 16 beeps - it sounds litterally like a police car, with the length and type of beep is has as well as very very loud.

I am no expert on computers and all the BIOS things - i've never learnt about it - so if people could give me the most basic ABC step by step on how to find out why it is doing this and how i can stop it i would be very greatful.
Thankyou in advance :)

Edit: Moved topic from Bleeping Computer Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Hello :welcome: to Bleepingcomputer.com!

Can you tell us what microsoft operating system is running on this machine? you can tell by the loading screen that comes up when the computer starts. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Missybubz

Missybubz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

Windows XP
Hope this helps.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

Please follow the steps outlined in the following:

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html

Louis

#5 Missybubz

Missybubz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/iRuS3vXPWDthPR0bGlhskXt

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

Well...I'm pretty impressed with the fact that you have a system with less than 1GB of RAM...with a Windows install dated over 7 years ago...and everything seems to work :).

I can't tell you what the beeps signify...but the only time I've ever heard an alarm of any sort on a system...after Windows has loaded...is when the system has been detected to be overheating. My experiences with such are limited to the PCs I have owned since 1996, so I would not say that it's representative of anything.

You have an Award BIOS and following is some documentation re the beep codes.

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/award.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#05

Louis

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

Sounds to me like you need to change the cmos battery.
http://www.google.com/search?q=gun+arsenal&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=677&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=poy8TvL0NtK3twfQvujrBg&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQsAQ#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=cmos+battery&oq=cmos+batter&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=6499l10502l0l13120l13l12l0l2l2l3l803l3272l0.2.1.1.1.2.1l10l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=6212ab6104235aee&biw=1280&bih=677

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

Agreed, particularly if the system is that old!
It takes a CR2032 available almost anywhere for under five bucks.
I would try that first.

You will need to reset the date and time in the BIOS after you replace the battery.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

it sounds literally like a police car

Based on past experience, this siren-like sound is most likely to be an alarm indicating that the CPU fan has either slowed down or stopped altogether. The tone and volume is meant to be a serious alarm ... and to alarm you seriously ... prompting you to immediately hit the POWER OFF button. Continuing to run the computer without the CPU fan running risks seriously damaging (over-heating) the system.

If you have not cleaned inside the computer box in some time, the fan could be simply slowed/blocked from turning by the accumulation of fluff and dust, or it could be that the bearing of the fan is seizing up and preventing it from turning at high speed on occasion.

Either ...
  • Clean the fan and heat-sink under the fan.
    or ...
  • Replace the fan.
It is important that you remove the cover from the box and investigate, and keep watch on what is happening with the CPU fan. This should not be ignored as you have managed to do for the past 6 - 18 months!
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#10 Missybubz

Missybubz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

well i have just cleaned the dust out of the tower - although there wasnt much tbf .. lets see if it still beeps .. if so whats my next plan of action - as if theres nothing else i can do that isnt going to cost anything i might as well just get a new tower (Y)

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

Well...to be honest, quality systems for so few dollars...have never been as available as now, IMO.

Any user with a fairly old system probably ought to take a real look at the systems/motherboard packages available at vendors.

Louis

#12 Missybubz

Missybubz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

My computer is still beeping - even after cleaning it =[

#13 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

Have you tried replacing the battery I suggested??

#14 Missybubz

Missybubz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

not yet no .. due to the fact of were thinking of just getting a new tower .. might as well get a new one that replace all sorts of bits as it is rather old tbh .. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users