Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bradders1

bradders1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hi

I have numerous USB ports on my desktop PC, and it appears that some of them are not working at all. I have tried my USB memory stick in each of the devices and it only seems to be initiating in one of them. The others just remain 'off'. I have looked in the device manager and it says all USB ports are working correctly, but it wont allow me to use any USB device in the majority of them. Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks
Bradders

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hello,

Please post your system specs. It will help me see if anyone else has had this issue and get a pic of the computer. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 bradders1

bradders1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Its a Dell Dimension 3100

Celeron 3.06GHz
0.99 GB of RAM
Windows XP version 2002

When i go in to My Computer, there are a number of 'removeable disks' displayed. These link to my card readers I think, as none of them are mass storage devices.

Hope this helps?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

Try...uninstalling all USB controllers listed in Device Manager...and then rebooting.

General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 November 2011 - 08:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users