Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible RAM Failure?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 element93

element93

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

Specs:
CPU: i5 2500k 3.3 GHz
GPU: GTX 570 Galaxy
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD80 G3
Powersupply: Corsair TX 850w

I have been experiencing a slew of different BSOD's ranging from 124's to 1a's.
I took my computer apart for an hour or so, re-installed windows, set everything back to stock, and tried to boot, and I received another Blue Screen within 2 minutes of booting.
Unfortunately, none of the minidump files were saved until my most recent one, which I am unable to attach to this post for some strange reason. It happened right after I tested to see if my OC settings would be stable. I used MSI's OC Genie utility to clock my RAM up to it's normal 1600 speed, since the board defaults to 1333, and I only overclocked to 4.2 for the CPU. These setting have been running perfectly until recently. I have a Hyper212+, so overheating shouldn't be an issue. The blue screen I recieved was a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error, and I believe the Bccode was 4e. I was wanting to know if it was an OC voltage error or a RAM failure, or possibly anything else, and what you guys would recommend me to do. Thank you for your help.
Also, how do I attach the minidump file? It says I am not permitted to do so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Hello,

Please go to: http://www.memtest86.com/ then download it and burn it to a disc. Then remove all of your sticks of ram and insert just one. Start the computer and boot to the memtest disc you created. Then let it run for a while and see if any errors (will be highlited in red) come up. If they don't the shut it down and remove that stick of ram and insert the next one and so on. If anyone of them come up with errors then that one is a bad card and will need to be replaced.

If you need any help just ask :)

Edited by computerxpds, 10 November 2011 - 01:11 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 element93

element93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

I ran the free version of memtest86 today, I ran it for a good 40 minutes or so to make sure it was a good test, and there were absolutely no errors, albeit I only tested the RAM that wasn't in use, which was around 6.5 gb. Would it be better I if I downloaded your version? I was planning on doing the 1 stick test and testing all my DIMM ports, but that would also be extremely time consuming, and I've already spent a good 8 hours troubleshooting, I'm bordering insanity at this point hahaha.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:25 PM

Yeah I hear you man. Just keep going its worth it in the end. You ran the version I was pointing to most likely. Yes I would test each stick individually. Just to be sure.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 element93

element93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

Ok thanks. Just a thought, would it be a BIOS or Motherboard related issue? I only seem to have problem when I try to clock my RAM up to 1600, since like I said it defaults to 1333 for some reason. My motherboard is supposed to support 1600 and a 2133 OC, so I don't understand the 1333 thing. Also, when trying to update my BIOS to Click BIOS II, my computer tells me that I already have an updated version, even though I know I don't.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

I have PM'd An advisor to come look at this since I am not good with overclocking. :) he should be able to help you.
sigcomp.png 

#7 element93

element93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

It technically isn't overclocking since it is 1600 RAM :P
But thank you so much, seriously. This is very much appreciated!

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:42 PM

Your welcome. I will keep an eye on this topic just I case I get something more to contribute. :)
sigcomp.png 

#9 element93

element93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Update.

I've been playing Battlefield 3 Campaign for about an hour now with absolutely no problems. My guess is that the errors had to do with bad OC setting.

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

Well thats good. Actually now looking back I should have recommended that you reset them back to the defaults (everyday is a learning day hehe) but any way glad you found that, for now if it works well then I would leave it alone. Atleast as I see it you shouldn't really need any oc any way it should all be fast enough. :) If you really want advise on how to overclock more I would make a new post in the internal hardware forum and ask them over there, as they would be able to help you with that better than in this forum. :)
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users