Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really Slow Pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wadeb_212

wadeb_212

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

I have a Dell Dimenson 2400 running 128 MB of RAM. The machine is slower than mallases, I have defragged it that didn't help ran chkdsk /r that also didn't help. I'm not sure if its because of 128 MB of RAM or what. I would greatly appreicate some help thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:13 AM

It would help if you gave examples of the slowness and told us what version of Windows you are using. Can we presume you have scanned your hard drive with your resident Anti-virus and with one or two anti-spyware applications? Has your computer always been slow, or has this happened recently?

Increasing your RAM is certainly something you should seriously consider, especially if you plan on keeping your computer for some time, to as much as possible.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

Quite frankly, I believe that the majority of your problems are related to the 128 mB of RAM. If you can afford it, upgrade immediately! I recommend 512 mB to keep the system running well - although you can function OK with only 256 mB.

The next most common reason for this is viruses and spyware. I'd suggest a complete system scan with an updated antivirus and antispyware program. If you don't have one, you can do a free, online scan here (requires Internet Explorer): http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

There can (and usually are) other issues that will slow down your system. Removing some of the startup programs - and disabling some of the unneeded services that are running can help.

You can also optimize your system for "best performance" by going to Start...Control Panel...System...Advanced tab...Performance Settings button - and then clicking on "Adjust for best performance".

All of this is dependent on what's running on your PC. To see most of the stuff that's running - press Ctrl-Alt-Del (all at the same time) and then click on the Processes tab. Then check the box in the lower left that says "Show processes for all users". This will show you what's currently running on your system (FYI - the one's named svchost.exe have multiple things running under them).

I've done all of this for several people with 128 mB of RAM and it's helped them - but without additional RAM your system will still be hampered by the lack.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

Yep. That'll do it. If you are running the recommend security software, not to mention the other software you are sure to be using, you system will need quite a bit more resources to run reliable. I would believe it is not a stretch to say 512mb of RAM. That is if you are not Gaming or video editing. If your are 1gb would be reasonable.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users