Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My friend needs help with AVG

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

From your list here I am looking for my friend AVG
and I am directed to
http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download
I think I need to choose Trial Version and therefore do not understand, what basic protection is for ?
So I assume this is how AVG is doing things these days
Am I correct in saying that you need to take the trial offer to install a free version , . . then convert later, . . if so, . .
please tell me how does that happen ?

Edited by Jove, 06 November 2011 - 07:32 AM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

At his time I believe my friend D/Led the basic version
and when she goes to run it it ask for password etc. ??

What shall I tell her to do ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

Am I correct in saying that you need to take the trial offer to install a free version

No. Did you read the description of the different versions on the link you provided? There is no mention of trail under AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012.

AVG Free means it is free. A trial version is the full working version of a product which you can use for a limited period. When that period ends you must purchase the product and the vendor generally sends a key or password to unlock it so everything works again. However, even some fully free software will require you to register and get a key or password to use.

Edited by quietman7, 06 November 2011 - 08:47 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

This is what she finds when she opens the D/L to run for installation;

avg free stb all 2012 1869 cnet.exe

Publisher AVG Technologies

Aways ask before opening this file is checked

So I don't know why she has not been prompted to register password etc. , . . . unless that is what she should have done after accessing the site,. . .

Will appreciate your advice

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

If you go to the site I mentioned in my first post there is the basic and the trial download
but there is also a tab at the top of the page that links you to
AVG Free, . . and here there is
AVG Anti Virus Free 2012
The Original Free Virus Protection

Possibly this is the one that should have been chosen ??

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

I went to that site and is the same as before but I still do not see a reference to using a password in order to install the D/L

Therefore I am wondering if it may have something to do with the administrator rights, etc.

If that is possible and she is not logged in as the administrator

then accordint to the following AVG instructions;

To check if you are logged into Windows 2000 as a user with administrative rights, please:

* open menu Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
* open Users and Passwords

There will be all user accounts listed on the page. Each account is assigned to some group (Administrators, Users, etc.). Before installing or reinstalling AVG, or prior to proceeding with any action that requires administrative access, please make sure that you are logged under an account from group "Administrators".

If you are not sure under which account you work at the moment, please open the Start menu. The name of the account will be listed next to the "Log Off" option.

More http://free.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-2392#ixzz1cw5JEiAT

Using my own pc as a reference I do not see anything next to Log Off on my PC ?

I will work with her to see if she is logged in as the Administrator, etc.
but if it is possible to avoid this by D/Ling an earlier version of AVG. then updating it, please let me know.
Thank you.

Edited by Jove, 06 November 2011 - 09:43 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

No, you don't take a free trial to get the free version. The free version does one thing while the other versions have a free trial that once the trial period expires without payment it reverts to the basic one dimensional free version. You want more features? You pay. If you want to test drive a fully functional one to see if it might be what you want go with a trial. No intentions of buying, stick with free. It's the one on the far left with one check mark.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Hello Animal, Thanks,

That's what I thought and that is the one I told my friend to download

but she says, (if I am not mistaken), that it is asking for a password ?

I will be talking with her again around 8 pm, but for now, might this

request for a password have something to do with the administrator rights

or permission etc. or am I wrong and she has downloaded the Trial or pay

version ? (she d/l avg free stb all 2012 1869 cnet.exe)

Edited by Jove, 06 November 2011 - 03:53 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

Here is the SS of the box in question, . . now that I see it it may be possible that it is unrelated to password, . . .

Can you make any determination, as it may have something to do with the connection.

Posted Image

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

Looks like your friend is using a proxy whether they are aware or not. They will need the proxy info to proceed with the download. The only way around that is download it to a flashdrive from another computer thats not using a proxy, or one that can fill in the proxy information required by AVG to continue.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#11 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

Looks like your friend is using a proxy whether they are aware or not. They will need the proxy info to proceed with the download. The only way around that is download it to a flashdrive from another computer thats not using a proxy, or one that can fill in the proxy information required by AVG to continue.

Where is the proxy information found ? It seems that there is only one line of information needed, ( Server ) ?

Please clarify, what do you mean, "the only way around that", ? . . . . around what ? the need to input information ? as it seems to request(Server)

Edited by Jove, 07 November 2011 - 06:13 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

If the proxy needs authentication there is more information to input. I don't know the answer to that without knowing the proxy setup. Yes the 'only way around' the current dilemma of unknown proxy information is to use a different ISP connection, that 'a' isn't behind a proxy, or 'b' the user has the necessary proxy information to fill out the AVG form.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Oh OK
Do you think that all would change if she had Automatic Updates, because she has no window updates showing in add and remove ???

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

No, completely unrelated issues.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#15 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

FYI, Jove, I recently downloaded the free version of AVG and there is no password needed. However, if you look at the name that you listed in post #52, you'll see that part of it is "stb". This means stub, which means that what she downloaded is a stand-alone program that will download and install AVG Free. I have the same file and when I tried to open it without my Internet connection on, it demanded Internet access. Several companies do this for their products but there MAY be link somewhere that says something like: "If you plan to install this on a different computer, click here." I don't remember seeing one on the AVG Free site, but I may have missed it.

The reason for this seeming inconvenience is that, by using a stub, they can ensure you get the most recent version of the program, no matter when you downloaded the stub. This reduces the subsequent update time significantly.

The snapshot is clearly for Internet access, and I'll guess that she has her Internet off, but it's hard to say for sure. What kind of connection does she use? If her Internet was on when she made that snapshot, either she's using a LAN to connect to the Internet (is she doing this at work or at university?), she may have a proxy set up in her Internet settings, or maybe there is a program running that acts as a proxy. The first thing to have her do is connect to the Internet before she runs the AVG stub and see if she still gets the message.

If she's at work or university, she'll have to talk to the network administrator about how to use the proxy to get the download done.

Please let us know.
Glenn

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users