Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User account & System restore issues

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Falneth

Falneth

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

I run XP Pro. After having several issues with the computer rebooting (I think it's fixed), I found a new Administrator user folder that was created somehow. I've compared the creation dates of MY user account and this other Administrator folder. This new user folder WAS called Administrator.OFFICE.000 (I deleted the old Administrator user folder and renamed the office.000 to plain Administrator). My computer's name is OFFICE. The date stamp that it was created is: Nov. 5 at 6:47 am. MY user account was created on Oct. 26 at 9:04 am. I looked in the Office.000 folder and it is 1.57 MB in size. It contains desktop, favorites, my documents, start menu folders (the normal view ones). The hidden folders are: Application data, Local Settings, Nethood, Printhood, Recent, Sendto, and Templates. It also has two files at the root of the office folder: NTUSER.dat and NTUSER.vcd.

Here's another issue. I have two user accounts on my computer besides the Administrator account: Samual and Sonda (my gf's account is a limited one). When I use the WINDOWS key + L (to lock the computer or switch user), either account gets asked for a password. There is no password set on either of those accounts. I have checked it multiple times.

I have tried to use System Restore to revert back, say to when I did the fresh install of XP. BUT, each one fails. System Restore is not working at all. Due to the constant failures of System Restore, I simply turned it off.

Any advice?

Btw, if anyone needs the info about what has been done, the link is: Virus causing computer to reboot.

A.A.S in Computer and Network Support from Crowder College

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users