Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing when I try to run security.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstar57

Blackstar57

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

I received such great help here when working on a friends PC I am hoping you can help me with my own.
Couple days ago I tried to install a regular Windows update and my computer froze. Rebooted and tried a couple more times with same results. Also on start up my Security Essentials was picking up malware and asking me to quarantine a file "Backdoor:Win32/fynloski.a" This is now a regular thing. I tried MAM and it freezez around 28 secs and Security Essentials at 52 secs. This is even after running Rkill.
Tried installing Superantispyware but it freezez too...

I have a custom built computer, AMD Phenom II X4, win 7 Ultimate 64bit and a Solid state hard drive. I have disconnected 2 other drives mounted in my PC.

Does anyone have any idea on where I can be directed?

Thank you all for this service you provide...

Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

I have since tried various remedies offered here in other posts. I downloaded and installed free version of SuperAntiSpyware and started a complete scan. It immediately found 15 adware or tracking cookies and i file item- Trijan.Agent/Gen. It has not moved to scan anything else since after about 5 minutes. Timer is still running . Up to 19.33 but number of mem items, Reg items or file items has remained the same for 15 minutes. mem-326, Reg 70153, and files- 15991.

I tried to stop the scan because it was obviously stalled so I could at least get rid of the items found but now all I get is the Windows spinning circle cursor... Everything else is frozen again.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

Two items ,,,Did you try scanning from safe mode.

Now an Important item to consider.

One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the reply boopme. To answer the first question, yes I did try to scan in safe mode... several times. The computer will run fine until I try to scan, then it freezes up.

I was thinking of formatting too. It's only a small drive, 120 gig solid state. A question on this is what about the other 2 drives on my computer? When I noticed this problem yesterday I disconnected the other drives so that only my C drive was accessible for scanning purposes.

If I format the 120 gig is it possible that the other drives could be affected? I have a couple docking stations that I could scan the drives with from another computer. I only use the 120 gig for my operating system and Office.

If I scan the other drives separately what is the best program to use? SuperAntiSpyware? Malwarebytes? Both?

Another thing I actually forgot to mention was that for the last few weeks whenever I rebooted my computer, Microsoft Security Essentials found a suspected file that it wanted to quarantine. I always ok-ed this... Maybe I need a better anti virus...

Again, thanks for your help...

Glenn

Edited by Blackstar57, 10 November 2011 - 10:37 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:40 AM

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

You should scan the drives with both.

Glenn run an online scan
I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

Hello again...

I've been dismantling my computer and scanning my drives all morning. Found some cookies in the 2 secondary drives. I have reformatted my 120 gig hd and reinstalled OS. I am just in the process of installing drivers to get back online again. Once I have installed my security (anti virus, anti malware) I will run some scans to ensure I'm not infected and then log back in here and run the ESET scan.
I will be heading to work in an hour so will check back in tonight at Midnight AST or tomorrow morning.

Thanks boopme

Glenn

#7 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Great news so far... Ran the ESET scan and there were no threats found...
This is only my operating system drive. Tomorrow I will re-install my other 2 drives which I have already scanned and then run another ESET scan.
:clapping:

#8 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Ran ESET scan again with all 3 drives in place and no threats found... I think I'm good to go again...

Thank you boopme for you help. Greatly appreciated...

Glenn

:thumbsup:

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

Sounds great!!
Update and run MBAM also to be sure.

#10 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

Did that already... actually ran MBAM, SuoerAntiSpyware and Norton. All say the PC is clean.

Thanks again boopme. Appreciate the help and directions...

Glenn :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users