Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choice Of Replacement Agp. Graphic Card In Cramped Machine.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 plaistowe

plaistowe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:41 AM

I really need help. I have a two year old system: I use for games, and transfering my old family
videos onto DVDs, so need a pretty reasonable card.

P.4. 3.0 with 1 Gig. Ram.
Hard Drive 200 gig.
Present graphic card, FX5700 256mb, on its last legs!
M.Board Intel D865PERL
New P.S.U. 350W.

The system box is not large and all available AGP. and PCi. slots are used. I can make more space
by taking a modem card out.
I would like to replace the existing graphic card with ideally an AGP. XFX.6600GT. 256MB. DDR.3.
Or a more expensive Asus ATI AX800XL. DDR3. 256MB. AGP. The choice for AGP. cards is v. limited
where I live in Portugal, and its virtually impossible to get much better.
With the 6600GT I will probably have to buy a larger box, and I have read that these cards can be temperamental and have power problems. That they need a PSU. of 400W. min. and at least 20 amps on the +12 volt rail.
So new PSU! Also probably more cooling, with another fan.
I understand that the Asus ATI AX800XL is cool running, and a relatively small card with few problems.
I have no experience of Radeon cards so I dont know how suitable it is, for what I need.
But I havent seen it, where I have seen the 6600, which is definitley bigger than my old card.

Any advice or opinions would greatfully received! Thanks for ploughing through this, Plaistowe.

Edited by plaistowe, 30 January 2006 - 10:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:17 PM

I've got an FX5700 Ultra card and it works just fine (and mine only has 128 mB of onboard memory). It works fine with all graphics apps and the latest games.

What makes you think that it's on it's last legs?

Have you tried updating the drivers to the latest, WHQL certified version available at the nVidia site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html

Often the drivers will get corrupted by other programs and an update will usually fix it (although sometimes it's necessary to use driver removal tools if the simple update doesn't work).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 plaistowe

plaistowe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the info. John. Unfortunately the fan hardly works on my FX5700 any more, and is getting worse and the card has started to overheat when pushed. I tried mending and getting a replacement fan with no luck. Also I cant get a replacement card here, as that would be ideal.
Up to this problem it worked like a dream, and yes, I did keep the Drivers up to Date.
Thanks again, and that smell in the morning isnt explosives, its my graphic card. Plaistowe.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

IF the fan is dying, it's usually a simple matter to get another fan (and it's a lot cheaper than a new card). A fan is a fan is a fan - you've just gotta get it to blow over the heatsink to cool it. I'd use an 80 mm fan, a plastic cup cut to size and some duct tape to funnel the air through it. Then you've just gotta figger out what to hang the fan off of! :thumbsup: (FWIW - that's how I cool my CPU!)

But, if you're like me - any excuse to upgrade! :flowers:

I'd pick the nVidia. I haven't had any problems with an nVidia card since I stopped using drivers from anyplace but nVidia - and since I stopped overclocking! :trumpet:

Unfortunately, I can't say the same about ATI - but others will tell you differently!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users