Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc freezing after about 20 minutes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mrfox

mrfox

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:21 AM

my pc is freezing after about 20 mins, it could be while using internet explorer browsing or just sitting idle it just freezes.
now if you press ctrl alt del to bring up task manager the problem will go away if your lucky, but then it will be back.
first i thought it was a problem with ie 8 so downloaded firefox but the same thing happened, i tried deleting all browsers going back to internet explorer 6 but still the same problem.
i have tried malware cleaner no luck!. i have tried downloading kaspersky and running but the problem is still there.
i have deleted all unnecessary programs on start-up , problem still there.
I have tried deleting as many processes as i can through task manager , problem still there.
its as if there isn't enough ram but there is 2gb and if you look at task manager when its running it doesn't look like there is a problem with memory.
i have deleted programs to free up hard drive a bit and it didn't make any difference so i have put most of them back now.
Anyway i'm a bit stuck as i don't really want to fresh install as that would mean hunting down programs original discs for drivers etc and i'm not really sure where they would all be.
any help would be most welcome as i'm running out of ideas.
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

Please post a screen shot from Disk Management.

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial96.html

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 mrfox

mrfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

hi
many thanks for getting back to me.
here is screen shot.

Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

Graphic indicates that your Windows partition has insufficient free space to run Windows effectively.

I suggest moving all data files (movies, photos, etc.) from that partition to another.

Then reboot and see how the system responds.

Louis

#5 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

I agree. You need to keep 10% >15% free space on your system drive { where windows is installed }, virtual memory needs up to 4gb of disk space and you only have about 340mb of TOTAL free space. A simple trick for progams is simply install them on a different drive or if you don`t wish to uninstall too much , try putting your virtual memory file on a drive with sufficent free space but you will still need to free up a min 10% free space on system drive.

#6 mrfox

mrfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:53 AM

Graphic indicates that your Windows partition has insufficient free space to run Windows effectively.

I suggest moving all data files (movies, photos, etc.) from that partition to another.

Then reboot and see how the system responds.

Louis

hi
many thanks for all your help.
I have removed all photos and pics etc, and tried to move most programs but am having problems moving some of them as nero, canon printer software etc don't work if i move them or put them on to disc. Any idea's on how to move successfully?

I managed to get my free space up to 1.7gb on the c drive but when i started up the pc this morning it was down to 1.4gb so i don't know if there is a goblin who fills up my hard drive at night when i'm asleep.
any suggestions would be most helpful.
thanks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:07 AM

I did not suggest moving programs...programs take up a relatively small amount of disk space on the Windows partition, unless you have gone overboard with installing such.

The vast majority of space used on the Windows partition lies with the files in Documeents & Settings, most of which will be in the My Documents folder.

To get an exact idea of where your space is...you can use a tool like the following: WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html

It will show in detail...what directories, folders, and files...are taking up the Windows partition space.

Louis

If you attempt to move any installed programs...all that will happen is that you will render them useless, they will not function.

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2011 - 06:08 AM.

#8 mrfox

mrfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

I agree. You need to keep 10% >15% free space on your system drive { where windows is installed }, virtual memory needs up to 4gb of disk space and you only have about 340mb of TOTAL free space. A simple trick for progams is simply install them on a different drive or if you don`t wish to uninstall too much , try putting your virtual memory file on a drive with sufficent free space but you will still need to free up a min 10% free space on system drive.

Thanks for the advice, how would i go about moving my virtual memory file?

#9 mrfox

mrfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

I did not suggest moving programs...programs take up a relatively small amount of disk space on the Windows partition, unless you have gone overboard with installing such.

The vast majority of space used on the Windows partition lies with the files in Documeents & Settings, most of which will be in the My Documents folder.

To get an exact idea of where your space is...you can use a tool like the following: WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html

It will show in detail...what directories, folders, and files...are taking up the Windows partition space.

Louis

If you attempt to move any installed programs...all that will happen is that you will render them useless, they will not function.

Thanks for youe help i am downloading WINDIRSTAT now,please bear with me as pc is running really slow.
many thanks

#10 mrfox

mrfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:34 AM

hi
I am looking at the windirstat report on c dive and trying to work out whats using up the space in documents.

there is 1.4gb in iphone software updates :
iphone3,1-5.0-9a334-restore.ipsw and iphone2,1-5.0-9a334-restore.ipsw which are taking up 774.3mb and 668.7 mb can i delete them and will my itunes still work, also sorry about this but if so how would i go about it.

thanks

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#11 mrfox

mrfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

i have now found out how to delete fils via clean up in windirstat and have deleted the iphone updates and old avg files i no longer use and old roxio files that should not be there.
brillient tool windirstat, so thanks for that.

I now have 19% of space on cdrive, but for some reason it is still freezing ever so often, if you press ctrl/alt/delete and bring up task manager it seems to free up the freeze for some reason !!!!even without doing anything in task manager!!!!!
Any ideas on what could be causing it to freeze, sometimes you can close down a page(web page or live mail etc) and it will just freeze. Most of the time you can get it back for a little while by pressing ctrl/alt/del but obviously something is wrong somewhere as i shouldn't have to do that.
thanks for all your help

Edit:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

Now that you have some free space...I suggest running the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. On new screen, type Y and hit Enter. Reboot.

The command will initiate off the new boot...run...then the system will boot into Windows.

Let us know how the system is, at that point.

Louis

#13 mrfox

mrfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hi Louis
I have just run the chkdsk on start-up and it went straight through the five sections without any problems, I don't understand why it freezes after about 20 mins it never used to.
many thanks for all your help

Edit:

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

Freezing can be caused by any number of scenarios.

Periodic freezing would have me make the PSU or overheating as primary suspects.

Louis

#15 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

Hello mr fox and welcome to bleepingcomputer.com

Download CCLEANER the link below:

http://www.piriform....leaner/download

Just DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.Also hit start run then type msconfig then hit the services tab then hit put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users