Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

40-60% CPU usage for "Interrupts" according to PE

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kenny5277

kenny5277

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop, AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile, 1.87 GB RAM, 4.5 years old, running XP

I had a malware problem which I've been dealing with over here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=64275

I first noticed this issue shortly after running one of the early steps in my malware removal (after running Gmer) but it's possible it was present before then. I think the first thing I noticed was the boot up time. When I reboot, it seemed to hang on the XP welcome screen, but finally got to the log in screen. I couldn't actually click to log in though for a minute or 2, and then... well, the whole boot up from start to finish was over 15 minutes.

The task manager showed that the idle process was 95-99 but CPU usage was at 40-50 (even 60). I downloaded Process Explorer which was showing that all that unaccounted for CPU usage was "Interrupts". What does that mean? Is this due to a bad hardware component? a bad driver? How do I get more information on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

My suggestion would be to first resolve you posted malware topic...before moving on to worrying about system performance. IMO, the existence of one impacts the other.

Louis

#3 kenny5277

kenny5277
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Actually, I probably could've worded it better but, the malware problem is essentially resolved. In fact, in that linked thread, the tech who was helping me advised me to post in another forum about this (potential) driver issue and then come back to remove all the anti-malware software and logs and stuff.

So that's where I'm at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users