Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing broken electric charger port for laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

My laptop (17-inch standard laptop MSI) took a tumble off the arm of my sofa in between the sofa and the end table last night. I was relieved afterward to see that it was functioning as always. it wasn't a huge drop so i had hope.

I spoke too soon, though. As I was using it I got a message to connect my power cable as I only had 7 minutes left. Sometimes it falls out but on checking it had not fallen out. I took it out and reconnected it and made sure the outlet was working but nothing, deader than dead.

Oh, No. Oh, yes. I took it to Office Depot to see if they had another power cord, that's where I bought the computer. I was hoping it was just the charger cord but nope, he showed me where the pin was loose in the middle of the port. They said they could mail it off to be fixed, would take a couple weeks. I could deal with that BUT it would cost $250 (seems it is their standard price for whatever the problem is). So I think its a middleman deal, everybody gets a cut of the proceeds. I told him I didn't think I wanted to spend that much on it not knowing if there might be some other problem. They had the same computer on close out for a really good price ($319 for a 17-inch laptop on closeout). I wanted to think about what to do as buying a new one would be a real bite just now. So i'm considering all my options what to do.

Has anyone ever fixed such a problem. I read a review on a local company and it seems the person posting said they had her computer forever but it was the same thing, the power port. She got frustrated and just asked for her computer after 4 weeks or so. She mentioned it to a friend who is (unlike me) apparently handy at figuring stuff out and he was able to replace it but had never done so before so I thought, allowing for the different brands etc., that maybe it is not a huge deal. I think she said she paid her friend $3 for the part. I wish to have such a solution - $3 plus labor for whoever) wouldn't it be nice not to have to come up with the cost of a new one just now. Obviously the difference between mailing it off for $250 repair and paying $319 for a new one, the more attractive and sensible idea would be to buy the new one (my other is about 16 months old.) but the best case would be I can fix the one i have and save it from the electronic scrap heap plus get my stuff off the drive.

Has anyone replaced an electrical power connection port? If so - what is the degree of complexity to fix?

Thank you much.:mellow:

Edited by kcsummer, 10 November 2011 - 04:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nesrinamb

nesrinamb

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

Well I think you should go to one of the local tech shops in the area. As usually theirs one person who will specialize in such a repair and likyl have it done in about a week for about $120- $180. It might take 2 weeks if the part needs to be orderd but it should cost you less then office depot and it will likly take less time to do the repair.

#3 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

if it were mine lots of no cost solutions come to mind. a tech shop might be best if you don`t know whats what. one low cost short term solution is to call around your local tech shops and see if you can get the battery charged { explain your connector problem and how you need files,etc.} offer $5 {a few hours of laptop before battery dies again}good luck

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

Around here , Central NJ, that is a $149 repair called "DC Jack Repair"

You can probably find the part on e-bay. However I must caution you against doing it if you have never taken a laptop completely apart. There are a lot of delicate connectors on the motherboard for things like the Keyboard, mouse, sound, webcam, LCD Cable, sometimes VGA port, and USB ports. There are at least 4 different types used. Easy to trash the motherboard by breaking them. Just putting a screw that is too long can cause cosmetic damage or damage motherboard for example.

If it were a Dell, Lenovo or HP for example you could download the service manual from them. Toshiba authorized ASPs can get them.

MSI I don't know, You could ask them for a maintenance manual (Service manual).

If you do decide to do it yourself, One tip do not unplug any wires or ribbon cables (usually keyboard and Touchpad) by pulling on them when they are properly released they just about fall out of the connector. Speaker cables same thing pull by the plug not the wires.

Toshiba and Lenovo often use a connector that plugs in with wires another plus for them. Since your center pin is loose I suspect not. Even if the DC jack has to be ordered it should only take one week for a repair.

As you take it apart take pictures and keep the screws identified. I still suggest having it done. A good shop should get it back the next day if the jack is in stock.

Just FYI I use a Toshiba for the rare occasion when I need a laptop. No DC jack problems that a cheap jack on a cable and 15 minutes to pop the top couldn't fix. Thinkpads are nice too.

Edited by rotor123, 12 November 2011 - 05:57 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:01 AM

Thanks for all the advice, opinions and suggestions. I am doing good to figure out how to do even the simplest techie/build/put-together things, in fact the words ASSEMBLY REQUIRED are precursors to horrible nightmarish activity so I guess you could say I'm not "handy" that way. When my kids were little, I'm talking 10 or 12, one of the first things they did with anything we got them of an electrical nature was take it apart, which exasperated me coz I figured it was done-in already but amazingly they usually managed to get it back together and functioning.

So what I mean is the junk man wouldn't want anything repaired or assembled by me. So repairing it myself is I think a lost cause.

I do like the idea of giving somebody 5 or 10 to recharge my battery so I can get my "stuff" off the old one, if that is what was suggested, if not then I made it up I guess. I just recently added LogMeIn to both my computers but never had time to experiment. You're supposed to be able to access your computer anytime anywhere which would be especially important to me since I go back and forth between a MAC and Windows.

Anyway, since the new computer just like the one I just demolished was only $319 which imo is pretty good I decided to just get the replacement, bite the bullet and pay my penance for being careless. of course by the time I paid $99 for a 2-year maintenance / replacement contract plus the taxes it came to $453, so better or worse that's what I did. I figured I might end up spending a lot of money to fix my old one with no guarantee it wouldn't go belly-up on me the next day and so end up paying even more so, like any good shell game, I closed my eyes and picked one. I'm familiar with the one I had of course and so getting one identical should help me get up to speed on it quickly. They have what I consider "quirky" stuff. When I bought the now-defunct one I was already to go and I couldn't find how to turn on the wireless / internet capability, usually a little teeny switch so after much griping (to myself) I finally found (there was no book just a quick set-up guide) that its a keystroke combination of fn plus whatever key has the little net simble on it. You'd think they might SAY SO, give a clue yannow? Oh, anyway thank you, this is still handy info to file away for another day when one of my kids (the take-apart / put-together guys) might come up with such a problem or similar I can at least point them in the right direction.

Thanks for the advice everybody!:busy:

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:06 AM

if it were mine lots of no cost solutions come to mind. a tech shop might be best if you don`t know whats what. one low cost short term solution is to call around your local tech shops and see if you can get the battery charged { explain your connector problem and how you need files,etc.} offer $5 {a few hours of laptop before battery dies again}good luck

Oh, meant to say I have been to your fair city - my brother went to a seminary there for years and we always came at Easter time which was usually too darn cold for my tastes but there are some good memories and some "other" kind. Once the motel we stayed at (excellent memory - The New Yorker) had a problem with their heat and it was frigid so my sister spent half the night with her feet in a tub of hot water trying to warm up BUT They had really good Hot Chocolate in their restaurant. The people who ran it were very nice and friendly so we stayed there several times even though.

Just wanted to say "hey"

oh yeah and we went to a cool museum in buffalo (now I know why buffalo are so massive and furry - cold) and DeLorenzo's Italian Food. Very nice but probably/no doubt gone now!:wink:

Edited by kcsummer, 13 November 2011 - 04:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users