Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro How many versions??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:23 AM

how many versions of xp pro sp2 are there? I found a version that requires no activation and validates as genuine in a secondhand store computer . Which version would it be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

Might be a volume license copy, I don't think they need activating. I would guess the serial key will be blocked at some point - those are meant to be found in second hand shops!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

To further complicate an answer to such questions...

When XP was released (eons ago), there were all sorts of licensing problems...and illegal duplication of XP install CDs.

At that time, a user merely any copy of XP and a valid license key...regardless of whether it was a dupe of another key...in order to install XP.

Additionally, OEMs (notably Dell) CDs with embedded keys were openly sold by various outlets in the same manner that what now are called MS Genuine XP CDs (distributed by Microsoft, with MS logo on CD) were.

Soooo...any CD reflecting the inclusion of SP2 may be one of these CDs.

In 2004, SP2 was released.

In 2005, PA came along, as a MS measure to combat piracy...the MS EULA was changed...and these OEM disks and licenses which had been sold openly befoe...disappeared from procurement possibilities for the average user.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/02/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-windows-product-activation/

So...to answer your question...there are legitimate and illegitimate CDs which reflect SP2. Some have valid keys, some have keys which MS has proclaimed to be illegal and relies on PA to prevent activation of these licenses.

For more detailed info on Windows versions and such...you can use Google and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows .

In essence, PA has become the point at which MS defines validity for any install of XP.

Louis

#4 kbit

kbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Ive used this disk for 5 years and can uninstall and install on any computer , go to microsoft update as often as i want, there seems to be no limitations whatsoever and it is not branded or anything like that. I legally own both xp home sp1 and xp pro sp2 and both have activation and they both randomly inform of hardware changes and a need to reactivate even when no hardware changes have occured for months . This version has none of those limitations and all my xp machines are right up to date as of today . key came with computer, not embedded but sticker. I was just curious about it { disk } and i have found xp disks that come back as illegal or stolen keys or slipstreamed and this disk just keeps going { oh it is a burned copy or i wouldn`t have asked at all, no info on disk just file folders }

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

Being a burned copy makes no difference...anyone in his right mind should burn a copy of the Windows install CD...both as a backup and for updating/slipstreaming purposes...IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users