Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Restore Trojan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Moopadom

Moopadom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:33 AM

I'm on Windows Vista Home Edition on what used to be a Dell PC but has now had parts (graphics card, RAM) changed.

Yesterday, I discovered I'd been infected by the Windows Restore bug. We followed removal instructions according to the Bleeping Computer guide here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-restore

After 1 quick scan and 1 full scan by Malwarebytes, my system seemed to be clean. I confirmed this by running more full scans on Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials. Both came up empty.

Except I'm still having major problems that did not exist before the virus.

(1) My pc crashes and becomes completely unusable after a while. It doesn't seem to be after a fixed duration of time and seems unrelated to what I'm doing on the pc.
(2) All functions are very sluggish. Browsers take too long to open, right-click menus take too long to appear, spreadsheets take forever to load. I have reasonably decent hardware (quad-core cpu, 4gb RAM) and have not experienced such slowness before yesterday.
(3) If I try to boot the PC in Safe Mode, it hangs before/while/after (I'm not sure which) loading this specific file 'crcdisk.sys'. So basically safe mode is unavailable.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end and would appreciate any help.

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2011 - 11:27 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

Worth a look, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/bsod-on-vista-startup-crcdisksys/707c4654-0132-4595-9b6f-d6f4a4d9a678 .

Louis

#3 Moopadom

Moopadom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

I'm afraid that was all pretty much Greek to me. :)

From what little I can understand, I'm not sure how it applies to me since I haven't touched my BIOS settings (to my knowledge).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users