Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hitman Pro: How Restore Deleted File?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Brooks

Tom Brooks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

Win XP
Hitman Pro 3.5.9 Build 131

How can I restore a file I deleted in Hitman Pro?

Under the Hitman History tab, the file is there, marked as deleted, by highlighting leaves the "Restore" button grayed out.

The file doesn't show up in the Recycle Bin.

The file is BitTorrent.exe.

BitTorrent no longer shows up on the hard drive under C/Program Files/. I think it was there before, along with some downloads in subfolders under it.

Edited by Tom Brooks, 10 November 2011 - 02:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:45 AM

The file is BitTorrent.exe.

Why don't you just reinstall BitTorrent? Or are there other files you want to recover too?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Tom Brooks

Tom Brooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

Why don't you just reinstall BitTorrent? Or are there other files you want to recover too?

Ya, I'm not concerned about BitTorrent as I can reinstall that. It's that I think there were some downloaded torrents that were being stored in subfolders under the program folder that weren't placed anywhere else.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

Important Note: Using any torrent, peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing program (i.e. Limewire, eMule, Kontiki, BitTorrent, BitComet, uTorrent, BitLord, BearShare, Azureus/Vuze) or visiting such sites is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. File sharing networks are thoroughly infected and infested with malware according to Senior Virus Analyst, Norman ASA. As such, it is not uncommon for some anti-virus/anti-malware disinfection tools to detect torrent related files and programs as a threat and attempt to remove them.

The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. This practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft, system infection and remote access exploit by attackers who can take control of your computer without your knowledge. Even if you change the risky default settings to a safer configuration, downloading files from an anonymous source increases your exposure to infection because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install malware. Many malicious worms and Trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities. In some instances the infection may cause so much damage to your system that recovery is not possible and a Repair Install will NOT help!. In those cases, the only option is to wipe your drive, reformat and reinstall the OS.

Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The best way to eliminate these risks is to avoid using P2P applications and torrent web sites.
Using such programs or browsing torrent sites is almost a guaranteed way to get yourself infected!!

Just FYI so don't take it wrong.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

The longer you use your computer, the greater the risk that disk space used by those undeleted files gets overwritten with new data.

So the best thing you can do is shutdown your machine and then use a Live CD to try to recover the files.
A Live CD is a CD, DVD or USB stick that you use to boot your computer. The operating system, often a flavor of Linux, runs from the Live CD and does not change the content of your hard drive while it is running. Then you can use specialized tools to undelete the files from the harddisk.

There are also recovery methods without Live CD, where you continue to use the Windows OS running on your machine, but the chance of successful recovery is smaller.

The following explains how to undelete files on a NTFS harddisk with Ubuntu Linux:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13706/recover-deleted-files-on-an-ntfs-hard-drive-from-a-ubuntu-live-cd/

Remember, don't download Ubuntu on your machine, but use another.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users