Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely and permanently disable Windows Mixer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Anathema VII

Anathema VII

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

Hello,

I loathe the inbuilt Windows Volume Mixer - no, loathe is too polite a word. There is no rhyme or reason to this beast; regardless of settings, volume changes without whim, hijacked by other programs or some inscrutable whim of Windows. Disable the various reduction in background sounds and set them to do nothing? That's not enough, because the mixer will refuse to let you play things through headphones even when they are in, detected, and were working fine moments before - restart, and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Luck-based computing! The wave of the future! I have tried everything I can possibly think of, from disabling sound options or trying different figurations, disabling and/or reinstalling sound control devices and updating the drivers, fooling around with local settings in each individual program... And still, Windows Mixer randomly overwrites them. Searching for the topic on google has repeatedly indicated I am not the only one with this problem but I have yet to see any active solution - so I am asking, begging, actually, for a way to completely disable Mixer. I am sick and tired of working at my computer while listening to music, then slowly realizing in horror that it has stopped playing in my headphones and is now playing through my speakers, trying to talk through Steam and having a 50-50 chance of getting through, and having to uninstall sound controllers and restart every time I use skype because it seems to reset all default mixer options.

Please, I realize this isn't a blue screen of death or other thing at the top of the triage list, but I feel it is a problem both myself and others would love to see fixed. Please give me advice on how to completely uninstall windows mixer - I'd be highly grateful. Thanks,

Anathema

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users