Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in SafeMode and SafeBOOT already unchecked in msconfig

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blond1wd

blond1wd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

I had a virus (Windows Recovery, I believe), so I restarted in Safemode to remove it. I did so but now I am stuck in safemode. It won't let me out and whenever I get into the advanced boot options and click repair, it boots up normally and then asks me for a password for "other user." Whatever I type doesn't work.

How do I just reformat this sucker? Whenever I go to the Dell Factory Image Restore, there is an error message and it won't finish the reformat.

Also there are two blank partitions on the computer. One is 47MB and the other is 2MB.

Edited by blond1wd, 10 November 2011 - 12:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:12 AM

Hi blond1wd,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :)

Apologies for the delay in responding. Could you tell me what error message you get when you've tried to access the Dell Factory Image Restore?

Do you have any important personal files on this computer that need to be retrieved? I'm assuming you don't since you've already tried to access Restore.

Also, could you provide what OS (Operating System) and the Model # for this computer is.

You may have to contact Dell to order the recovery disks if you don't have any.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 11 November 2011 - 01:32 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

A cat named ugly

#3 blond1wd

blond1wd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

It does not give an error message, just the icon of the error but the dialogue box is blank.

I think I may have discovered my problem. Apparently the virus makes files attributes change to hidden (which I undid), but it also hides files in the temp folder and I'm pretty sure I deleted the files in the temp folder since this happened--I know it's dumb, and I did system restore which doesn't fix anything. Anyway, it's possible some important system files were deleted.

Also, under the boot tab in msconfig in the screen that should say Windows Vista, it is totally blank.

Also, it's a Dell Inspiron 530

Edited by blond1wd, 14 November 2011 - 08:05 PM.

#4 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

In what manner did you try to access the Dell Factory Image Restore? Through the Advanced Boot Options window as in the following link?

Using Dell™ PC Restore and Dell Factory Image Restore

If not, try that.

If the Dell recovery partition is corrupted and unuseable you will have to do a manual install. Did you receive any disc's with this Dell? There is no Dell "recovery" disc, just the Operating System DVD and the Drivers and Utility disc.

Here is a link on How to Manually Reinstall Your Windows Vista Operating System

I'm including a link for Dell Support. You may be able to contact them to order the disc's if you don't have any. I fear there will be a cost involved.

Please, keep us informed to your progress.

:)

animinionsmalltext.gif

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

A cat named ugly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users