Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gateway nv52

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whosurpopi

whosurpopi

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

My one and a half year old gateway, wont power up after shutting it down or closing lid. The power light comes on, and the battery light will come on. The fan kicks on and the cd drive spins, but it doesnt fully power up, and nothing on the screen. I took it to a shop and they told me the power jack was bad ( i didnt think so since the light would come on when plugged in, and all the same thing happened weather power cord or battery). After that, they said it was a bad motherboard. They couldnt get it to power up the whole time they had it (a week). I have had it home, and after a few hours of power on power off, it came on. (i am typing this on the computer in question). Now that it is on, I am afraid of turning it off. I have it on a cooling pad, but the charger is getting hot. Is there any tests i can run now that it is on to try to figure this out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ravcrashes

ravcrashes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

Computer issues usually count rather heavily on repeatability. If you have an error and can't repeat it its hard to diagnose. The same holds true for a situation like the one you're in. If you pressed the power button a hundred times and it powered up on the hundredth time, there is no real way to tell what it is that caused it to work unless you can discover what changed that hundredth time. I'd be willing to say the motherboard assessment seems accurate. The light showing power is available, and then the computer attempting to run various pieces of hardware and then ceasing is motherboard-ish.

Just my thoughts, I'd say you could always run a check disk and then if that returns a favorable report try shutting it off and see how things go turning it back on.

#3 whosurpopi

whosurpopi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

how do I run a check disk? windows 7

If the motherboard was bad, why would it sometimes work? loose connection, lid sensor bad, bad solder?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users