Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Memory Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1st

1st

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

Hell there everyone, I have this ridiculous problem with my computer, that I just can't get to the root of.

First of my computer is a Dell Studio XPS Desktop 435T/9000.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 920 2.67 GHz
3 GB DDR3 Tri Channel Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 Video Card

My BIOS is up to date.

Now for the problem, upon start up of the computer it will freeze. After I restart it, it restarts on its own on boot up. Sometimes this is accompanied with a blue screen, sometimes not. After that it will go through this pattern of randomly starting up and restarting until it finds settings that click I guess. Sometimes it will freeze before it even boots Windows up (though not on the initial start up only after it has already crashed). Its become normal for me to turn it on, wait for it to freeze, and then after restarting it to leave it to its own devices for 20 min or so until it settles itself out.

I would have done something earlier, but since college starting I haven't had any actual time to troubleshoot it so its been left in the care of my brother for a while. The other day after I've had enough I started digging a bit further. Anyway one thing that I have noticed is that out of my 3 GB of memory only 1 or so memory is actually free. The rest of it is hardware reserved, so what ends up happening is that my RAM usage is on overload. As I'm typing this my current RAM usage is at 86%. Even though as I look through my process, they are using about 600MB of memory, which isn't really that bad, considering I have windows Aero, firefox, itunes and a bunch of other programs on. The problem is why it all is going to the hardware reserves.

One way I can connect this to the restart problems is that the other day i check how much memory I had available upon first boot and it was at the full 3 with only like 10MB being hardware reserved. After the first successful boot following the boot/crash/restart/crash/restart loop I noticed that the memory available was down to 2 GB. After the next crash it settled at 2058 MB being hardware reserved, 881 MB in use (right now though I do have a fair about of programs open), 4 MB modified, and 116 being free/standby.

After the usual crash serious today I got the Your System Recovered from an unexpected error thing. I've gotten this in past, it goes right back to crap the next day regardless. I saved and attached the text from the problem signature as a text file (along with a few mini dumps).

Well that's all I have, I'm at the end of my rope and don't want to do a reinstall (not even sure that will help if its truly a hardware issue).

I've gone through the Windows memory diagnostic. It didn't report any problems. Even though when I did it a month or so ago it froze halfway through. One interesting thing about this problem is that it only happens on the first boot of the day. Kinda like starting an old diesel engine on a cold morning. After it does go through its start-up problems it seems to work fine, asides from the memory being hogged by hardware reserves. It worked great once 2 days ago when I did a BIOS reset to default settings. But alas it went right back to its usual behavior the next day.

I've looked into changing the advanced boot options through system configuration and un-clicking the max memory setting, but I never had that setting on. Also my BIOS does not have a Memory Remapping Feature.

Thanks a lot in advance for anyone willing to try and help out. Sorry that its so much.

Attached File  Problem Signature.txt   722bytes   2 downloads

Attached File  10-20-2011.txt   1.75KB   2 downloads

Attached File  10-21-2011.txt   1.99KB   2 downloads

Attached File  11-9-2011.txt   1.78KB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

I would remove any Symantec product that is currently installed...and see if the problem goes away. There seems to be a problem.

Louis

#3 1st

1st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

Unfortunately removing Norton didn't' do much. I'm prepping my files for a reinstall of 7 to see if there are any changes. I ran memtest earlier and it seemed to be ok.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

Your statements indicate that this is a long-term problem which should have been addressed earlier.

Have you considered the possibility of a hardware problem? PSU, motherboard, hard drive come to my mind as suspects that I would try to eliminate.

Rebooting and freezing...are general symptoms of many things that could possibly be wrong, IMO.

Louis

#5 1st

1st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

I don't think its either hard drive or the power supply. Memtest didn't have any errors either. I wouldn't know how to test for motherboard errors though.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Only effective way that I know...involves a change of boards.

I'm not a tech or an IT person...just a user. When I suspect hardware problems of any sort, I test, if possible, then (temporarily) switch parts to verify the results of testing.

Louis

#7 1st

1st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

Well I did a complete reinstall and everything seemed fine for a while. Then I left it idle for about a half hour. When I got back to it, it was off/sleep mode. When it booted up again first I got the recovery from serious error message. As I was about to download Blue Screen View, it actually went to blue screen again.

I attached the 2 .dmp files from the two crashes. Really don't know what to do at this point.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.txt   1.98KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  2.txt   1.99KB   1 downloads

#8 1st

1st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Also after the second BSOD the available memory went down from 3 to 2 again.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

I do not recommend running sleep or hibernate on desktops. Not my preference. Notebooks or Laptops are way better in this feature. It could be that you have thermal issues. I would still physically removed some stick of RAM to troubleshoot even if the memory test returned with no errors.

Tekken

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

You did not reinstall Symantec products, did you?

The only thing I can glean from your two new STOP errors...would point me to a driver problem, which isn't particularly helpful. Along with your typical hardware, various programs install drivers, including AV, firewall, video editors, etc.

Where are you getting this "available memory" number from? Available memory is somewhat meaningless, IMO...what does your system reflect as installed RAM?

Try Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter. At bottom of screen should be Total Physical Memory, which should match the installed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users