Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New OS, recent recover from virus and other hard drive issues, need to protect myself properly this time around

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jennifern2213

jennifern2213

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hi there,

I recently recovered from a severe virus and then was uninstalling programs and damaged my hard drive. Dell came and reinstalled a new hard drive with Windows 7 on it. Lost everything (except that during the virus fiasco I saved my important documents online).

Before I start using my computer regularly I would like to protect it properly so that this doesn't happen again.

I have already downloaded Malwarebytes Anti Malware from the link provided on this forum.

What should I download to protect me in real-time and while surfing the internet. I don't want a program that will ask me every two seconds if I will allow it to make changes, etc (Like SpyBot)

Any input would be appreciated. I want to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

Also what is a good way to keep my system backed up when I don't have a disk drive or a flash drive large enough (all I have is a 2GB)

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nesrinamb

nesrinamb

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

Well you can use the free versions of internet security such as avg, avast, and avira. They are all good proformas and you can also use the paid versions of these programs. You may also look into kaspersky which is what I use for most of my systems. Also get rid of spybot, it had its day but its no longer what it used to be.

On another note if your saying that Dell switched out a hard drive because it was damaged due to the virus damaging it that's actually not possible. Did they say it was a virus or do you assume it was? Also if they said that their was a virus their is no reason to switch out the hard drive.

If you paid for them to come in and do the work I suggest you find out exactly what they did. If they tell you that it was a virus and they you needed to get a new hard drive I suggest that you demand your money back. But if it was under warranty then it doesn't really matter.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. Security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention. I believe this is what you are asking about so read that entire topic,

As far as backing up your data, you can purchase an external hard drive with a large disk capacity if space is the issue...they are relatively cheap and easy to connect or disconnect for safe keeping during an emergency. You can also use the external drive to make a disk image with an imaging tool (i.e. Acronis True Image, Drive Image, Ghost, Macrium Reflect, etc.). Disk Imaging allows you to take a complete snapshot (image) of your hard disk which can be used for system recovery in case of a hard disk disaster or malware resistent to disinfection. The image is an exact, byte-by-byte copy of an entire hard drive (partition or logical disk) which can be used to restore your system at a later time to the exact same state the system was when you imaged the disk or partition. Essentially, it will restore the computer to the state it was in when the image was made. You will then have to reinstall all programs that you added afterwards. This includes all security updates and patches from Microsoft.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 jennifern2213

jennifern2213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Well you can use the free versions of internet security such as avg, avast, and avira. They are all good proformas and you can also use the paid versions of these programs. You may also look into kaspersky which is what I use for most of my systems. Also get rid of spybot, it had its day but its no longer what it used to be.

On another note if your saying that Dell switched out a hard drive because it was damaged due to the virus damaging it that's actually not possible. Did they say it was a virus or do you assume it was? Also if they said that their was a virus their is no reason to switch out the hard drive.

If you paid for them to come in and do the work I suggest you find out exactly what they did. If they tell you that it was a virus and they you needed to get a new hard drive I suggest that you demand your money back. But if it was under warranty then it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the info. After I got rid of the System Restore, with the help of boopme on here, I started deleting programs off of my computer, one of them was a trial version of StopZilla. It said it uninstalled correctly but left a window open that said it was still uninstalling. I waited an hour but it still didn't go away so I restarted my computer and then it wouldn't start after that.

My laptop is still under warranty until next May so it was free. Got a new hard drive and new keyboard for free.

#5 jennifern2213

jennifern2213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

And thanks Bleepin Janitor, I will read that section about safe computing and try to change my ways, I know I wasn't being as safe as i could have been.

As for the external hard drive, I'll have to wait until I have some extra money so I guess I will just be extra safe so it doesn't happen until then :)

#6 ~Kal~

~Kal~

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

If an external hard drive isn't an option right now, you could try online storage - you say you've stored some files already this way. I'm not sure I'd store sensitive data online but you could keep that on your smaller stick and store your other docs, photos etc online. I'm not hugely familiar with them myself but I know people who use Humyo quite happily to store shared business files on and I'm sure there are other providers too - a quick google would probably get you some recommendations

As Quietman said, the best way to protect yourself is to surf sensibly and stay informed. Use an antivirus and firewall (Quietman's link above recommends some good free ones). Scan intermittently with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, check for software updates regularly with Secunia online scanner and above all, just be sensible when you're online.

Cheers

Kal
Kal
Please bear in mind I'm in the UK so our timezones may not always sync.
If I'm helping you and haven't replied within 24 hrs please send me a pm

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

As for the external hard drive, I'll have to wait until I have some extra money so I guess I will just be extra safe so it doesn't happen until then :)

You mentioned you only have a 2GB memory stick. Doesn't your computer have a DVD-reader/writer?
Rewritable DVDs can hold almost 5GB, and write-once DVDs almost 9GB.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 jennifern2213

jennifern2213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

You mentioned you only have a 2GB memory stick. Doesn't your computer have a DVD-reader/writer?
Rewritable DVDs can hold almost 5GB, and write-once DVDs almost 9GB.

I have a Dell Vostro V13 laptop, so it is small, 13 inches, and does not have a cd drive at all. I've been planning to get one, but never have any extra money...maybe Santa will bring me one :)

#9 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:22 AM

Get Microsoft Security Essentials as a free and great anti-virus & anti-malware solution. Always keep the free version of Malwarebytes with you in case anything goes wrong. Keep your Windows updated, your Windows firewall on and stay away from anything that seems suspicious. Hope it helps. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users